Law School Discussion

PS - places to start?

PS - places to start?
« on: September 14, 2006, 12:21:14 PM »
I've tried to write a rough draft of a PS over and over and just end up with a blank screen.  I have absolutely no idea where to start in terms of a topic, as I am a traditional applicant just a year and a half out of college, no relevant work experience, no unique circumstances or major life events.  One of my letter writers wants to read my PS so he can write me a more detailed letter but I think I'm going to write him a targeted 'why law' sort of statement to make it actually relevant to the letter.  Obviously I don't want to send a 'why law' statement with my applications, though.

So what I'm wondering is if there's a good list of general topics to brain storm or jumpstart this agonizing process?  I understand the purpose and intent of the PS, I just can't for the life of me find a topic that would let me express those goals.  (Short of making a story up out of thin air, which is the next step...)

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
Re: PS - places to start?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 12:26:29 PM »
Get a copy of the Anna Ivey book. There's a brainstorm questionairre in the back. If you approach it as a free writing exercise, you'll get a better idea of your story. Most of the books on PS's out there are hit or miss.