Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Work First  (Read 1234 times)

cyamazaki

• View Profile
    • Email
Work First
« on: February 10, 2004, 06:55:17 PM »
Hi, I have a quick question. I'm gonna be graduating undergrad and I really want to attend Law school, but my GPA isn't great...3.1. I haven't taken the LSAT yet. I was wondering if it would help my chances to work at a Law firm first for a few years before applying. Do admissions people look at experience?

Thanks

pedrito

• View Profile
Re: Work First
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 07:04:22 PM »
Apparently, much less than you'd expect (I did the same thing).  Your chances would be most helped by studying your way up to a phenomenal LSAT score.

apartment

Re: Work First
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 07:11:11 PM »
Yes, schools do look at work experience but not so much when you are a couple of years out of school.  So, 10 years of work experience will help your application but 2 years not as much.  Neither will really compensate for a low GPA when it comes to getting into reach schools, but will help in cases where your numbers make you a borderline candidate.

The best thing you can do to offset a low-ish GPA is do very very well on the LSAT.

A good LSAT performance can wipe away a lot of the negatives of a low GPA.  Your numbers will ultimately dictate which school you can even apply to, work experience will not change that, but it will help you once your foot is in the door.

Good luck!