Law School Discussion

Choosing between 3 topics: DECIDE MY FATE!

Choosing between 3 topics: DECIDE MY FATE!
« on: September 14, 2006, 12:23:05 AM »
Okay, so im going to let you all decide my fate. I had a decent first draft of an essay done today, but after going to a PS workshop, i thought of two other ideas i kind of like as well. Give me +s and -s and help me and my eternal gratefulness will be yours. These are all quick descrips, so if you want more info/clarification, pm me.

Idea 1: (the one i started already) I talk about my mom going to college while i was in high school, the fin. effect it had on the family, and how she taught me to go for what i wanted no matter the sacrifice. gives me a chance to better explain a couple things on my resume, all subtly of course, and is pretty decent i think.

Idea 2: talk about the time a girl tried to kill herself while i was on duty (im an ra). the workshop leader said to talk about things that will fill in gaps in your app, and i think that coming from ug straight, this might allay fears about maturity. talk about how i dealt with the situation, etc etc.

Idea 3: Talk about an "internship" i took way back when i was a frosh in hs, and how it got me interested in law because i followed around a legal caseworker who helped senior citizens who were getting screwed. talk about how this planted seed for desire to work in PI,etc.

Thoughts? Another question I have - does the essay necessarily need to deal with law at all? I didnt think it did, according to anna ivey, but today the workshop chick said it should talk about your interest in the law (although the essay she handed out as the best example didnt even use the word law).

Finally, to what degree are you guys just using one essay, and to what degree are you changing them for all schools depending on what they ask? I'm going all T14, and I just want to not @#!* it up by being too generic/not answering the question for those few who specifically mention law.

Thanks so much to all, you're gods.

Vick

• View Profile
Re: Choosing between 3 topics: DECIDE MY FATE!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 08:41:10 AM »
Definitely do NOT use the third choice.  High school is just too far in the past.  I think your best option is the second topic.  Like you said, it could demonstrate some good qualities about you. 

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 09:12:03 AM »
I disagree,

I think second topic could come out badly, almost seem like you exploiting someone's misfortune. Plus sadly it is the ase that i don't know many people who haven't had to deal with this sort of thing at some time or another.

I would go with the first one.

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 10:24:23 AM »
I actually like the first idea the best (just to muddy the waters a bit). However, I will provide one caveat; make sure that your essay focuses on YOU not your mother. Sometimes when people write an essay about how someone changed their life, they tend to focus on the someone rather than themselves.

The 3rd topic I like the least (unless it is in response to a prompt that asks why you want to be  lawyer). I agree that it was from a pretty long time ago (Are you the same person you were when you were 15? I'm certainly not.) and I think those types of essays are going to be some what common.

I think the 2nd topic COULD work if you "do it the right way." I think pigwidgeon's concern is valid so I would be cognizant of it.

Of course, you could do some more brainstorming and come up with new topics if none of these seem to have the "wowness" for which you are looking.

I'm sort of in the same boat as you; I've been thinking about one topic for a while and now I've thought of a few others that might be better. I think I might write a rough draft of each one and see how they end up. If you have the time, you might want to try this approach and see if it works for you.

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 04:09:05 PM »
Hahahah, thanks for making this much harder, you bastards. =DD

All the advice is good, so ill explain each a bit more to make it clearer.

1st one - I'm paying pretty close attention to make sure its not too much about her. As I talk about what she's doing, i draw parallels to my life, what i learned, the effect it had on me. In that one, it gives me the chance to mention that i was pretty broke growing up/payed for most of my school, which i didnt really mention anywhere else on my app, but i think is relevant.

2nd one - havent really fleshed out the concept, but it seemed to address maturity in a way not much else could. although, at second glance, i guess the first one could do that as well.

3rd one - I wasnt really considering using this as my main essay, but there are a few schools that ask something like "tell us about yourself, etc etc, and what made you want to pursue law." in a scenario like that, i know that everyone is going to be saying "OMG i want to go into public interest law" (despite the fact that around 6% actually will), but i thought that i had a decent enough story that touched on it a bit. not sure what else i could use to describe my interest in law. i mean, i love law more than anything else, and have wanted to be a judge since I was 6, but this seemed like a decent example.

i do agree about it being too far back though. drat.

Any thoughts about doing different essays (or at least  modifying them for different schools) - and i dont mean just changing "and thats why i look forward to going to XXX law"??

Thanks so much for the help!