Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: question regarding the dreaded PS.. or BS.. whichever you prefer to call it  (Read 305 times)

rev up the red!!!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • the numbers.. eek!!
hey guys, i need your opinions regarding my PS.
i am graduating with a kinesiology degree.. or sport science in some cases.. and i have participated in competitive sports my whole life, most noteworthy ice hockey.  is it wrong to base my PS on sports? but basically, by my resume it is quite clear that i am looking to get into sport or health law.  the problem is, i do not want to come across narrow minded or anything, but as everything in my life relates around sports and health ( i worked at a hospital, sport store as well as a trainer for a hockey team) i feel that i should relate how my being competitive and driven in sports has led me in the direction of law for the future.
my question is, should i base my personal statement on sports? do you guys consider this personal and different enough?  or do something entirely different? (such as backpacking in Europe on my own or working at mcdonalds for 3 years.. haha)

thank you guys soo much! LSD rocksss!!!

andrea

babyeatsdingo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: question regarding the dreaded PS.. or BS.. whichever you prefer to call it
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 09:55:52 AM »
If your app minus your PS highlights your passion for athletic competition then why use your PS to again highlight your passion for athletic competition? I would in that case be concerned with coming off as one-dimensional.  My understanding is that your PS is to be, among other things, a way to flesh yourself out beyond the numbers, resumes and recommendations.  Are you passionate about anything other than sports?

rev up the red!!!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • the numbers.. eek!!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 12:12:19 PM »
hey, thanks alot for replying.
i love travelling, and spent 6 weeks in europe this past summer backpacking on my own.  i could put that into an experience of some sort, and talk about some random occurance or problems but i did not think it would be too distinct.  i am confused about this application part, as nothing traumatic has occured to me in my life.  the only other thing could be working at mcd's for 3 years as a 15 year old and having a verbally abusive boss.. problem is i was 16 years old at the time and i feel as though its too far in the past.
i could talk about taking a class with this prof that had a very bad reputation but we did not have a choice whether to take it or not, and how by the end of teh semester my perception on my prof change dramatically and it ultimately led me to discover the field of sport law. (because it was a sport ethics class in which case i came across 3 different sport law journals while conducting research)
other than that, i love music, computers and facebook.

thanks again for your help

rev up the red!!!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • the numbers.. eek!!
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 02:52:06 PM »
ahhh thank you so much for your advice! i will have to make a trip to chapters this weekend and check out that book!
i think i will go through the dynamics of a penalty shot and how i set myself up and prepare for it mentally and physically and play with that concept relating it to how i approach everything i strive for in life (like the LSAT)