Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How much do rec letters matter? How early is too early? LSACD?  (Read 1619 times)

cr008k

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi, I have a bunch of questions, I am really stressing myself out about this. 
1. How much do letters of reccomendation really matter? Will a really good letter of reccomendation from a professor really help?
2.How early is too early to apply? If I apply on LSACD and submit aps electronically as soon as you are able, will the schools not get them until they start accepting applications or will they get them right away?
3. How much, if at all, will applying early really help my chances?
4. Do schools really look for patterns in your grades? My GPA would be considerably higher if it was not for three courses I took freshman year, an econ course and two psych courses which I got C's in.  Should I mention this in an addendum?
5. In the personal statement, can I say a school is my first choice if it fits and is true

I have looked at all the admissions indexes and plugged my numbers into the chiasu thing, but what I want to know is if any of these other factors will really matter.  My first choice is USC or UCLA.  I have a 3.33 GPA from University of Rochester (avg. GPA 3.2 for the school) with a major in Eng. media and communications, legal studies minor, business management certificate, without those 3 courses my GPA would be a 3.5.  LSAT is 168 (avg. lsat 150 for school).   Great letters of recomendation, one from the president of a company i worked for for years who knows me well, one from an Adjunct professor at simon school (i think #6 business school in country) and I am going to send my aps in as early as possible.  I know those sites say my chances are about 40%, but will any of this stuff help or make a difference?

I don't know how I am going to wait to hear back from schools, I will have a heart attack from this stress before then...

foxnewssucks

Re: How much do rec letters matter? How early is too early? LSACD?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 09:27:49 PM »
I think 40% would be pretty accurate of your chances at those schools.  This means that your LORs and PS are going have to be stellar IMO since you are borderline and could push you into an admit.  They definitely do look at grade trends and you probably should mention that, but those particular numbers and circumstances probably won't have a large impact.