Law School Discussion

Academia

Academia
« on: September 11, 2006, 10:48:49 AM »
Ok, so I've searched through older posts on here and have a question that I may already know the answer to.  What schools are considered the "feeder schools" for academia?  I know/assume that HYS are the best that you can shoot for in order to obtain a position in academia but are there any more?  Looking at the UMich catalog they claim to be but I almost question that.  I assume that Columbia and Chicago may be but am not really sure.

Thanks,
dmreust

Resident CLS Troll

Re: Academia
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 11:04:56 AM »
from my completely unbiased POV, chicago and columbia would probably be considered feeder schools from academia.  (chicago's probably better in that regard than we are.  it pains me to say it but it's true.)

also there's a thing called the furman scholarship at NYU, which is a fast track to academia. 

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 12:21:24 PM »
Ok, now I'm sure this is a scary question, but does anyone have any idea as to what the profile would be of a typical furman scholar?  I hadn't heard of that but it looks fairly cool so thanks for the info so far.

dmreust

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 02:56:43 PM »
Yeah, I just tried to not analyze it that much.  It did make it clear though that Yale looks like the place to go if you want to go into academia.  Something close to 50% of the students went into academia at a top school.  That's nuts!  I guess that gives me a target at least, lol.

Oh and does anyone know a recent furman scholar or about what GPA/LSAT combo it typically commands?