Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Some advice?  (Read 900 times)

kslaw

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 62
    • View Profile
Some advice?
« on: February 10, 2004, 01:14:13 PM »
I have a low GPA, (2.99) due in large part to a traumatic brain injury incurred after my freshman year. the two years that followed, I remained in school (with a 1.9, 2.2) while engaged in cognitive and learning therapies to retrain my brain how to learn. I am going to address this in my personal statement. At the tail end of the therapies (in 1998), I took the LSAT and scored a 159, having not answered the second half of the reading comprehension because I completely zoned out.

I just took the LSATs again on Saturday, so i won't know how I did until March 1. timed practice exams, I scored between 166 and 171. I felt confident after the test on Saturday (I didn't run out of time, which had been my biggest downfall in practice tests)

As far as applying, I have two choices. One...I could put my application in now to the school in my hometown. the application deadline is march 1. I would be applying with no idea of whether my LSAT is high enough to make up for my GPA. The school is ranked in the 50s. (Tier 2, I guess).

Or..I could put off applying, plan to start law school next fall (2005), carefully choosing schools based on my LSAT score.

I think I will still end up feeling that the school in my hometown is the best choice for me. Waiting until next year would allow me to choose more carefully, but if I choose any other school, it would mean uprooting my husband from his career and selling our house.

Any feedback? My instinct is that it's better to wait, but logically, I don't see any great advantage to waiting. I don't think I have any chance of getting into a better school than the one in my hometown.

thanks.

justme

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 13
    • View Profile
Re: Some advice?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 01:41:19 PM »
i'd apply now. If when you get back your LSATs they tell you a different story, pull your application and apply to the other schools next year.

You could just get everything together and wait and see if you get your results before the of Feb. Though the official release date isn't until March 1, from what I understand, the scores are usually released a couple days before that.


kslaw

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 62
    • View Profile
Re: Some advice?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 04:43:50 PM »
Thank you. I guess if I apply now and don't get in, I can always try again next year, right?