Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: are we a representative sample??  (Read 1253 times)

toiysam

• MSN Messenger - toiysam@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • 2LawSchool
Re: are we a representative sample??
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2006, 01:59:56 PM »
how much did you score on your diagnostic test? how many test did you take till you could start scroing into the 170s?? I am about to do my diagnostic test without any preparation, i am afraid that i score low and freak out. i saw a few questions and they were not so easy.

hereshopin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2006, 08:40:13 PM »
Just wondering about how representative we LSDers are in terms of LSAT preparation and studying.  Everyonere here seems to be incredibly focused and gung-ho about perfecting their scores (something I find alternately comforting and terrifying).  It also seems like 170+ scores abound on this board with astonishing frequency.

Do you guys think most people out there are studying this hard for LSATs too? Or are we just a very intense subset of the population?

You're answering your own question.

170+ is right around 98th or 99th percentile. It would stand to reason that if you're seeing a lot of that, it means that this board is absurdly unrepresentative. Think about it this way - for every person you see with a 172+ listed in their sig, there are 99 other people out there who don't have that.
DeVry Tech '10

F. Mercury

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2006, 08:50:53 PM »
Should we take into account our brethrens in the horror-stories board?  I wonder how much that would change things.

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2006, 10:38:55 PM »
Should we take into account our brethrens in the horror-stories board?  I wonder how much that would change things.
hmm, good point.

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2006, 10:12:52 AM »
I know about 10 people who have gone to law school in the past 2 or 3 years and neither of them know about this board and not a single one scored higher than a 155 (most of them under 150). Granted, my friends aren't a representative sample, but it reminded me there are people who go to law school that do not prepare for the LSAT. I'm not sure of the exact stats, but I thought I read somewhere that 80% of test takers score between 140-160 and that 170 was in the 98th or 99th percentile.

I wouldn't worry about what other people are scoring. The scale is already set. Just hope to get a score that gives you a good chance to get into your target schools.

So Yeah....

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2006, 10:36:50 AM »
Just wondering about how representative we LSDers are in terms of LSAT preparation and studying.  Everyonere here seems to be incredibly focused and gung-ho about perfecting their scores (something I find alternately comforting and terrifying).  It also seems like 170+ scores abound on this board with astonishing frequency.

Do you guys think most people out there are studying this hard for LSATs too? Or are we just a very intense subset of the population?

actually, LSD posters tend to be the slackers.  think about it.  while you're wasting your time posting on a stupid internet message board, someone else out there is focusing on actually preparing for the LSAT. 

i estimate that the average LSAT test-taker probably studies about 25-40% more than the average LSD poster.

Saja

• Sr. Citizen
  • Into enemy territory...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2006, 11:37:15 AM »
When friends ask me my score or how I did, I tell them "ok", but not quite as well as I hoped, and then when my score comes out they're really astonished!  It takes me back to the reality about LSD v. the real world.

mjb

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2006, 01:05:56 PM »
I know about 10 people who have gone to law school in the past 2 or 3 years and neither of them know about this board and not a single one scored higher than a 155 (most of them under 150). Granted, my friends aren't a representative sample, but it reminded me there are people who go to law school that do not prepare for the LSAT. I'm not sure of the exact stats, but I thought I read somewhere that 80% of test takers score between 140-160 and that 170 was in the 98th or 99th percentile.

I wouldn't worry about what other people are scoring. The scale is already set. Just hope to get a score that gives you a good chance to get into your target schools.

It benefits me to worry and others as well. I perform better when I have competition. If I'm surronded by high 170s then my score doesn't feel good. I want to study more to top these guys. If I'm surronded by 150s and 160s I feel like a big baller and don't feel that extra need to study.

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2006, 01:19:33 PM »
When friends ask me my score or how I did, I tell them "ok", but not quite as well as I hoped, and then when my score comes out they're really astonished!  It takes me back to the reality about LSD v. the real world.

I usually say, "Alright" or "Good enough."  Then they just bug me to give them the actual score, and they are always congratulatory/amazed.  It makes me feel uncomfortable.  On LSD I feel more normal.
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

michelle d

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2006, 05:44:51 PM »

You're answering your own question.

170+ is right around 98th or 99th percentile. It would stand to reason that if you're seeing a lot of that, it means that this board is absurdly unrepresentative. Think about it this way - for every person you see with a 172+ listed in their sig, there are 99 other people out there who don't have that.

Exactly. This board is definitely not a representative sample and skews much more to toward high achievers and people who want to get into the best rather than what's local, but I would wager there is also bit of misrepsentation going on.  It's not really difficult to lie about your numbers or claim that one anomolous 172 practice out of a field of 165s as your "projected score".  A fair number of people also don't have scores declared here, so it's easy to notice all the 99th percentile scores when folks in the 80th just aren't crowing about their fabulous scores.

But, really, what do I know?  I'm average 165s on practice tests, let alone the real thing, so I pretty much ride the LSD short bus.
U of Chicago 2010.