Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Too optimistic?  (Read 1484 times)

eyeoftheligrr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Too optimistic?
« on: September 07, 2006, 04:48:12 PM »
167, 3.74 (degree, don't know LSDAS yet)

Here's my tentative list of schools that I'm applying to: Boalt, Virginia, NYU, Columbia, Fordham, Conn, BC.

Would I be better served with less reaches and more realistic schools?  I know H is out of reach but I may have a targeted LOR there and a friend got in last cycle, so I have to at least give it a shot.  I don't want to sell myself short on the others but it would be a nightmare if I didn't get in anywhere.

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Too optimistic?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 05:15:21 PM »
I certainly don't think four reach schools is excessive.

According to the LSAC x GPA calculator on the LSAC site, your other three schools give you about 75% chance of acceptance. It would be very unlikely to not get in anywhere, but I think adding a few schools where you'll have a 80%+ chance of acceptance to give you extra peace of mind would be well worth the $150 or so in extra fees.
University of Michigan Law School, Class of 2010
LSN

iSalute

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 06:02:00 PM »
You will get into at least ONE of the schools you listed, assuming that you have not killed anyone in the past 18 months.
The University of San Diego c/o 2011.

http://themeaningofmadness.blogspot.com/

eyeoftheligrr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 11:21:07 AM »
You're right.  It's been at least two years since that strangulation incident, so I'll stop worrying...

east_meets_west

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 02:12:56 PM »
I don't think it's a bad idea to apply to four reach schools, but if I were you, I would definitely add a couple more safer options to my list. Your GPA is solid for your reach schools, but your LSAT will be a challenge at the tip-top ones, especially NYU and Columbia. I don't say that at all to discourage you or make you feel pessimistic about your chances, but I think it would be a good idea to look at a few lower-ranked schools and consider applying to them. You could always check LSN and see what results people with similar LSAT/GPA had in past years.
Northwestern 2010!

eyeoftheligrr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 04:41:51 PM »
Thanks Ignignokt.

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 08:03:32 PM »
167, 3.74 (degree, don't know LSDAS yet)

Here's my tentative list of schools that I'm applying to: Boalt, Virginia, NYU, Columbia, Fordham, Conn, BC.

Would I be better served with less reaches and more realistic schools?  I know H is out of reach but I may have a targeted LOR there and a friend got in last cycle, so I have to at least give it a shot.  I don't want to sell myself short on the others but it would be a nightmare if I didn't get in anywhere.

I'd keep the safeties (Fordham, BC, Conn) you will get into at least one for sure, maybe add BU to that list too.

In your position I would blanket the top 14.  You are teetering on the edge numberswise.  If you blanket them, you will likely get into one or two.

HLS '09

So Yeah....

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 09:59:25 PM »
i don't know about blanket the T14.  what about cornell?  i think you'd have a decent shot there.

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 11:34:17 PM »
i don't know about blanket the T14.  what about cornell?  i think you'd have a decent shot there.

There is nothing to lose by blanketing the T14.  All you really need is one to bite, and it is worth it.
HLS '09

So Yeah....

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 12:38:53 AM »

There is nothing to lose by blanketing the T14.  All you really need is one to bite, and it is worth it.

like halfie says, applications cost money. 

i still regret my penn app.