Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfer DOWN schools????  (Read 781 times)

MeloMan1555

• View Profile
    • Email
Transfer DOWN schools????
« on: September 07, 2006, 04:27:33 PM »

Vick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer DOWN schools????
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 05:17:54 PM »
If you really think your GPA will improve, then yes, you should do it.  A school's rank  or reputation has little sway on the ultimate decision.

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 05:20:13 PM »
Do you have a good reason to believe your GPA will go up, other than the fact that the new school would be a tier 3? Many top schools have high grade inflation, so it is certainly not a given that you'll do better at a tier 3 as opposed to a tier 1.
University of Michigan Law School, Class of 2010
LSN

hgolightly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 05:38:30 PM »
of course i'm no expert, but i don't think it's worth transferring schools just to boost your gpa. when you apply to law school, you can write an addendum explaining what happened, and it'll help you out that your grades went up over time as opposed to the opposite. i'm sure they see poor freshman years all the time, and you might even be able to spin it as proof of your responsibility that you got it together in the end. plus, when you apply to law school, they will see that you transferred to a lower ranked school kind of late in the game, and might wonder why. they might assume you couldn't handle the workload and transferred to an easier school, or just wanted to pad your GPA and aren't concerned with learning. it's true that law school admissions are largely a numbers game, but it's not 100% a numbers game. and as another poster points out, your GPA might not necessarily go up anyway.

all that said, if you don't mind transferring and you think that the educational quality of the schools would be comparable despite the difference in rank, then it's obviously up to you. but i don't think it's worth doing just because you think it will give you a better shot at law school. it may, or it may not.... probably best to focus on doing as best you can in an institution where you feel you are getting all you want out of the experience and getting the best education.

iSalute

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 05:56:43 PM »
Do NOT transfer down. This will look like a negtive to the admissions officers. They will see that you switched schools, and wonder why you couldnt handle it. Plus, you never know if your GPA will get you in to that particular school anyhow. The admissions to Law Schools can be a very weird thing. They accept and reject people who one would believe they should not have. Just work your butt off at the school you are at now. If you cannot cut it at your UG, then you will not cut it at this LS you want to get into.
The University of San Diego c/o 2011.

http://themeaningofmadness.blogspot.com/

paigeroo

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 06:05:15 PM »
Do NOT transfer down. This will look like a negtive to the admissions officers. They will see that you switched schools, and wonder why you couldnt handle it. Plus, you never know if your GPA will get you in to that particular school anyhow. The admissions to Law Schools can be a very weird thing. They accept and reject people who one would believe they should not have. Just work your butt off at the school you are at now. If you cannot cut it at your UG, then you will not cut it at this LS you want to get into.

I agree adcomms are very intelligent.  They'll look at the switch, and barring any serious geographic difference, they'll have only to assume that you couldn't handle your "Tier 1"... and if you can't handle that... how capable will you be in law school.

Vick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 08:40:35 PM »

I agree adcomms are very intelligent.  They'll look at the switch, and barring any serious geographic difference, they'll have only to assume that you couldn't handle your "Tier 1"... and if you can't handle that... how capable will you be in law school.

I think both of these responses share a big problem.  They both assume that adcomms would rank applicants according to the ranking of their respective schools.  There is no evidence to indicate that this is true.  In my eyes, and perhaps in the eyes of some addcoms, a 4.00 from a large public university where you're only a number might carry more weight than 4.00 from an Ivy with a reputation for coddling its students and grade inflation.  Furthermore, they assume that students have an obligation to disclose their reasons for transferring to another school.  I haven't seen any applications that specifically ask you why you transferred from one school to another. 

Transfer down if you truly think your GPA will significantly approve.  I have doubts, however, that it will. 

F. Mercury

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 12:08:27 PM »

Furthermore, they assume that students have an obligation to disclose their reasons for transferring to another school.

O RLY?  Sufficient assumption?  Maybe.  Necessary assumption?  No.  Couldn't school just guess?
Just a little excercise to get me ready for some LR sections today.

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
  • New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 03:32:04 PM »
They both assume that adcomms would rank applicants according to the ranking of their respective schools.  There is no evidence to indicate that this is true.  In my eyes, and perhaps in the eyes of some addcoms, a 4.00 from a large public university where you're only a number might carry more weight than 4.00 from an Ivy with a reputation for coddling its students and grade inflation.

While it's pretty obvious that adcoms don't rank applicants based on their UG schools' US news ranksings (at least no adcoms that I know of), I have heard from admissions officers at HLS and YLS that they do consider the academic rigor of the undergraduate institution. Many of the top-ranked UGs are known for being academically rigorous, and that helps. Of course, some small liberal arts colleges are known for being extremely rigorous and having harsh grading, so doing well at one of those schools is probably just as good as doing well at a top Ivy. In other words, the UG school's ranking per se does not matter, but its academic reputation does. And this isn't just because the top universities are being nepotistic, but because of a view that some of the selection work has already been done by the UG adcoms. For example, a U of Arizona admissions officer once said to me that "If we see a GPA of 3.X or higher from Yale, and an LSAT of 16X or higher, then yes, we'll read the rest of the application, but we're just going to stamp it 'ACCEPT.'"

Also, as for this comment:
"In my eyes, and perhaps in the eyes of some addcoms, a 4.00 from a large public university where you're only a number might carry more weight than 4.00 from an Ivy with a reputation for coddling its students and grade inflation."

I think your eyes are likely to differ greatly from those of most adcoms. A 4.0 from a large public univ. is probably equally good as a 4.0 from an Ivy, but do you think it is actually BETTER? Certainly some Ivies are criticized for having "inflated" grades, but what Ivy are you thinking of, that actually has a reputation for "coddling its students," such that you think its graduates would be HURT in law school admissions?
Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09

Bored? Try the mafia boss. (Warning: addictive!)
http://www.themafiaboss.com/?refer=admiral28
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=yalecol06

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 05:34:07 PM »
How do you know the lesser school will be easier? You may get hard profs or challenging coursework in a TTT as in a Tier 1. Focus on doing well and stay put.
Vanderbilt 2010