Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: deleted  (Read 4064 times)

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
deleted
« on: September 06, 2006, 11:52:38 PM »
Deleted.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

Skallagrim

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Boalt creating a false sense of desire
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 11:56:31 PM »
Why can't you get into Berkeley when you have a "great shot" with Penn?

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 01:00:33 AM »
It could also be that Berkeley is into yield protection.
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

eyeoftheligrr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 04:35:07 PM »
Interesting.  That must be why I want to go to HYS.  ;)

Tron

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 11:14:08 AM »

Then I realized it: the simple fact that I think I have a great shot at getting into places like Penn (and most other T14s if you'll allow me a bit of self-flattery) over a place like Berkeley has simply made Berkeley a more desirable destination. The whole "you want what you can't have deal."

Is this happening to anyone else?

I think all of us, except the very very select auto-admits at any school of their choice, fall into this mindset a little bit. I'm reading Vanity Fair for a Victorian lit. class right now (it was on my mind when I registered, hence the name) and the whole book is about wanting what you can't have (the movie sort of misses this whole point). It's been a great read leading into the application process where I continually find myself grasping for what I can't have (or at least have a slim chance of getting  ;)).

One reason why I find myself looking past my schools that I am much more competitive at is simply because it is more fun (and much more self gratifying) to tell people that you are applying to the Berkeley's of the world rather than, say a Washington and Lee or a William and Mary. I'm from the Mountain region and most people have no clue what is a great school outside of the top 10. Most people have never even heard of Washington and Lee or didn't even know that Minnesota had a great law school.

xk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 11:31:01 AM »

I don't think Boalt is yield protecting by bucking the trend and emphasizing GPA over LSAT scores. 

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 01:14:13 PM »

I don't think Boalt is yield protecting by bucking the trend and emphasizing GPA over LSAT scores. 

But so many people have high GPAs compared to the amount who have high LSATs.  If that is really the case that Berkeley is emphasizing GPA over LSAT, I think they're being stupid, not courageous.  Does anyone really think the average person with a 3.9+ and a 165 has a better chance of succeeding at a top law school than someone with a 3.5 and a 175? 
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

xk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 01:30:19 PM »

But so many people have high GPAs compared to the amount who have high LSATs.  If that is really the case that Berkeley is emphasizing GPA over LSAT, I think they're being stupid, not courageous.  Does anyone really think the average person with a 3.9+ and a 165 has a better chance of succeeding at a top law school than someone with a 3.5 and a 175? 

It's not about admitting only those they think will succeed, but also a diverse class. 

Proposition 209 made it illegal for public institutions-mainly, schools-to rely on race as a factor in admissions. Unlike UCLA, which merely shrugged its collective shoulders and waived good bye to minority applicants (Check out recent articles in the LA Times, people are starting to wake up to the numbers game that UCLA is obsessed with in order to attempt to outrank Berkeley), UC Berkeley has made a specific attempt to de-emphasize hard factors-the LSAT in Law School admissions and SAT in Undergrad-in order to ensure it maintains a diverse student body. The method is called "Comprehensive Review."

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,69093.msg1625257.html#msg1625257

Tron

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 03:49:48 PM »

Perhaps I take offense simply because the cited lower numbers are almost mine exactly, but what kind of question is that? 

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 07:48:02 PM »
Come to Penn. It's awesome.  :D
Penn Law '09