Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Full ride  (Read 18108 times)

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Full ride
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 09:38:21 AM »
Where's the vader dog?  I hardly recognized you?  I have yet to get a full ride, but a friend of mine got a ride at TX Tech with a 3.9 and a 154!!!  So its not a T20...free is free.

thats what im thinking!

It really isn't. That free ride on the wrong school could prove quite costly in the long run.

Not true at all.

It depends entirely on what you want from your legal education, and what you're willing to do after.

I'm willing to suck d*ck for coke.

diet or cherry?
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

theprocrastinator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 09:39:02 AM »
I wouldn't reccomend it in most circumstances. It may sound cliche, but if you get into a top school, go for it. I'll be graduating from a t3 in May, and as of right now I honestly feel that my decision to take the full ride here over the t1s that accepted me is the worst decision I've ever made.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 09:49:11 AM »
Where's the vader dog?  I hardly recognized you?  I have yet to get a full ride, but a friend of mine got a ride at TX Tech with a 3.9 and a 154!!!  So its not a T20...free is free.

thats what im thinking!

It really isn't. That free ride on the wrong school could prove quite costly in the long run.

Not true at all.

It depends entirely on what you want from your legal education, and what you're willing to do after.
I explicitly wrote could not will. Going to law school, you probably know the difference, at least I hope so. So yes, if you do not have high ambitions etc, it won't matter if you go to Cooley or Yale, if you do however - and I assume most of us do, it does make a difference. Saying "not true at all" is ridiculous. The difference of going to a Top 20 school compared to a rank 70-100 school is significant, and you know it.

theunderdog

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 09:52:48 AM »
I wouldn't reccomend it in most circumstances. It may sound cliche, but if you get into a top school, go for it. I'll be graduating from a t3 in May, and as of right now I honestly feel that my decision to take the full ride here over the t1s that accepted me is the worst decision I've ever made.

wow interesting.  could you elaborate on you said?  why you feel regret now?

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 09:53:39 AM »
I am a bit confused that you guys would be surprised at that...

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 10:04:15 AM »
I strongly doubt that applies to "most people" going to law school. I find it way more likely that law students are successful academics that are definitely looking to build a successful career as well. Are there some people determined to work at a lower ranked government office or working for Billy Bob's Lawyers and Dining in Alabama? I'm sure there is. Does that apply to a majority of law school students? I seriously doubt it.

Edit; not to mention, going to a good school you might be able to make that decision in your 3rd year. Going to a significantly lower ranked school, it will not be a choice for you to make.

My bottom line is that ruling out a lot of options by saving a rather low amount of money (in the bigger perspective anyway) might not be the best decision you'd make.

theprocrastinator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006, 10:10:21 AM »

wow interesting.  could you elaborate on you said?  why you feel regret now?

Reasons I regret my decision:

1) I ended up paying full tuition during 2L anyway because I got a 2.9 during 1L. Just because your numbers are better than everybody else at your school does not mean that you will do better than them.

2) I still have yet to work a paying legal job. I worked an unpaid internship last summer, volunteered at legal aid last spring, and got stuck working in a book store the summer after 1L.

3) I am almost positive that I will not get a job until I pass the bar. The stress is killing me.

4) I'm originally from the D.C. area and am going to move back there, but this means that I will likely spend the first years of my career floating between temporary document review jobs not knowing where my paycheck will come from the next month while working for pompous young associates who went to schools I could have gotten into but probably didn't have to work as hard as I did during law school because they had their position at the firm lined up before the end of the first semester of 2L.

5) None of the firms that I want to work for will even give me an interview. I'm not just talking about big law firms. Actually, I haven't sent a single resume to a big law firm.

7) A good childhood friend of mine is a 2L at a t1 that I got into and he will be making $2500 per week this summer trying out different practice areas to see what he likes while I become desparate and start looking for a job with an insurance defense firm.

8 I simply don't have a fraction of the options that I would had I gone to the top school that I got into.

....I could probably think of more, but there's a start.

theunderdog

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2006, 10:15:37 AM »
man, you have my condolences.  thanks for sharing.  you're going through some rough times but you'll kick some butt later on.  keep pressing.

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2006, 10:25:03 AM »
Do you mind disclosing which T3 you go to now?
Princeton Law 2010

theprocrastinator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2006, 10:29:44 AM »
Do you mind disclosing which T3 you go to now?

I'd rather not actually. Sorry.