Law School Discussion

Full ride

orangie

• GULC '10
    • View Profile
Re: Full ride
« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2006, 09:17:50 AM »
I think we need an area of the board dedicated to this "public ivy" debate.  I remember a Fordham alumn telling me when I was admitted to undergrad that Fordham was a "New York ivy"  This makes a hell of a lot of sense when you consider how close it is to Columbia and NYU.  I think his argument may have been greatness by proximity. :D

Why did you include NYU?

« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2006, 11:00:27 AM »
Because if anything is a "New York ivy"... other than the actual New York ivy, that is.

Towelie

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2006, 12:27:00 PM »
Except there are only 8 ivy schools. I know, I know it has a place in our culture as standing for academically elite, but imagine if someone called, say UMaryland a "east coast PAC-10." Doesn't that sound crazy? That's what I think when people throw out terms like "public ivy" and "new york ivy."

orangie

• GULC '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2006, 12:27:41 PM »
Because if anything is a "New York ivy"... other than the actual New York ivy, that is.

Are you saying that NYU is close to being the NY ivy? Or Fordham?  Because NYU is not ivy league, unless you using a different definition of ivy league (the standard one includes Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, and U of Pennsylvania).

RUMike

• I switched it up with a self tar.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mike101985
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2006, 02:22:22 PM »
Public Ivy, in my opinion has less to do with conferences and more to do with quality of education.

« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2006, 09:40:31 PM »
No. Ivy league is a fixed term.  I only thought it was funny anyone would think Fordham was anything other than Fordham.

Towelie

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2006, 10:26:48 AM »
No. Ivy league is a fixed term.  I only thought it was funny anyone would think Fordham was anything other than Fordham.

Agreed.

« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2006, 10:50:02 AM »
(the standard one consists exclusively of Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, and U of Pennsylvania).

TITCR

Reach

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2006, 09:28:11 AM »
Loyola New Orleans...I think it just came down to numbers since someone the year before me who was not an URM (at least by the LSN profile) with identical numbers also got a full ride.

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2006, 07:50:22 AM »

Fordham is a good school, no question about that, but brand naming schools "public Ivy" makes no sense at all. Ivy league is what it is, trying to shanghai the name to make other schools sound good is just silly.