Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Full ride  (Read 17975 times)

ktk

• AOL Instant Messenger - jclam1979
    • View Profile
Re: Full ride
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2006, 12:20:08 AM »
I got a full tuition from Wake Forest plus a chance at a substantial stipend that requires no work as well as fees/living expenses paid.  Pretty stellar, but I'm not sure if I should take WFU ranked #39 over say a GWU that I will almost certainly get into but with a less gracious package.  Any thoughts on that scenario?
Yes: WFU ($$$), W&M($$), Temple ($$$), Maryland, Fordham, GWU, Cardozo ($$$)
WL: GULC, UPenn, UCLA
No: NYU, Columbia

LSN: ktk

T44

« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2006, 12:32:44 AM »
I got a full tuition from Wake Forest plus a chance at a substantial stipend that requires no work as well as fees/living expenses paid.  Pretty stellar, but I'm not sure if I should take WFU ranked #39 over say a GWU that I will almost certainly get into but with a less gracious package.  Any thoughts on that scenario?

Great dilemma to have!  This stuff really depends on you.  I'm sure you'll do your homework on Wake job prospects after graduation and just compare it to the market in which you'd like to start out after graduation... If the money is guaranteed at Wake, it would be hard to turn down for anything other than a T-14 or another program that you feel better serves your needs.

I look at your list and take the money if Penn/NYU/CLS/Georgetown don't love ya. GWU is more of a coin flip for me...

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2006, 06:35:58 AM »

Well, you have the choice between two schools where neither one will lead to kill self and despair, Wake Forest is a pretty decent school, by all means. Personally, as I've made pretty clear, I would pick the highest ranking school no matter what - and that is from a neutral perspective, not related to any individual financial status. And GWU is a damn good school.

Kencade

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self tar up only for ASW purposes
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2006, 09:12:13 AM »
I wouldn't reccomend it in most circumstances. It may sound cliche, but if you get into a top school, go for it. I'll be graduating from a t3 in May, and as of right now I honestly feel that my decision to take the full ride here over the t1s that accepted me is the worst decision I've ever made.

wow interesting.  could you elaborate on you said?  why you feel regret now?

Reasons I regret my decision:

1) I ended up paying full tuition during 2L anyway because I got a 2.9 during 1L. Just because your numbers are better than everybody else at your school does not mean that you will do better than them.

2) I still have yet to work a paying legal job. I worked an unpaid internship last summer, volunteered at legal aid last spring, and got stuck working in a book store the summer after 1L.

3) I am almost positive that I will not get a job until I pass the bar. The stress is killing me.

4) I'm originally from the D.C. area and am going to move back there, but this means that I will likely spend the first years of my career floating between temporary document review jobs not knowing where my paycheck will come from the next month while working for pompous young associates who went to schools I could have gotten into but probably didn't have to work as hard as I did during law school because they had their position at the firm lined up before the end of the first semester of 2L.

5) None of the firms that I want to work for will even give me an interview. I'm not just talking about big law firms. Actually, I haven't sent a single resume to a big law firm.

7) A good childhood friend of mine is a 2L at a t1 that I got into and he will be making $2500 per week this summer trying out different practice areas to see what he likes while I become desparate and start looking for a job with an insurance defense firm.

8 I simply don't have a fraction of the options that I would had I gone to the top school that I got into.

....I could probably think of more, but there's a start.

Thanks for the perspective, this is extremely helpful to me as I will likely be wrestling with a similar decision. 

m1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2006, 11:22:36 AM »
i'm in the same boat as ktk...full ride to wake forest with the possibility of books and stipend.  what if I get into a BC/BU type of school or, as ktk said, GW?  GAH...money actually makes the decision harder, not easier

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2006, 11:50:05 AM »
i'm in the same boat as ktk...full ride to wake forest with the possibility of books and stipend.  what if I get into a BC/BU type of school or, as ktk said, GW?  GAH...money actually makes the decision harder, not easier

Yeah, damn those lucky Cooley students.

theprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2006, 03:50:57 PM »
Full ride at Miami. 3.5/174. I have a few years of interesting work experience and a MA...perhaps those were factors...the letter didn't indicate what specifically the scholarship is based on. That said, I'm excited :)

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2006, 03:51:56 PM »
Full ride at Miami. 3.5/174. I have a few years of interesting work experience and a MA...perhaps those were factors...the letter didn't indicate what specifically the scholarship is based on. That said, I'm excited :)

i would be too.

is it just tuition or includes some living expenses?
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

theprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2006, 04:05:15 PM »

i would be too.

Just tuition, it seems. 102k is the estimated value. The letter says that I am eligible for another scholarship (requires an interview if invited) that includes a stipend and the cost of a summer abroad program...I won't find out about that until Feb, but it sounds incredible.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2006, 04:07:03 PM »

i would be too.

Just tuition, it seems. 102k is the estimated value. The letter says that I am eligible for another scholarship (requires an interview if invited) that includes a stipend and the cost of a summer abroad program...I won't find out about that until Feb, but it sounds incredible.

no joke, that would be sweet!

i think id love to go to miami, but when you consider the tuition AND the COL, ouch!
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?