Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Full ride  (Read 18121 times)

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Full ride
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2006, 01:59:31 PM »
im thinking id be willing to give up some ranking for cheap/free tuition.

FSU and UF are looking better n better...
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

ProfessorPlum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Georgetown Law 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2006, 07:09:32 PM »
im thinking id be willing to give up some ranking for cheap/free tuition.

FSU and UF are looking better n better...

I might be in this position as well.  Theprocrastinator, which level T1 schools did you turn down for your full ride?  (Were they top 20, 30, etc.?)  Thank you for sharing your personal experience for those of us who are utterly uninformed and lost in making decisions like this.
hoia saxa

T44

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2006, 07:14:40 PM »
I took the money at a T4, lost the scholarship...needed a 3.0, ended up 2.94.  Wonderful things like a 90.7 were graded as a B+.  

T4s CANNOT honor all the scholarships they give out for all 3 years, its like a teaser rate.  I knew going in, but some poor saps didn't.  No worries if you want to work within 100 miles of your school...and don't mind basing your practice out of a mall suite next to 'Red Robin.'

theprocrastinator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2006, 07:31:47 PM »
I turned down a straight up acceptance at a T30 and a 50% scholarship at a T50. If I could do it all over again I would probably go with the latter.

I don't tend to think that taking money over rank is always going to be the right decision, but in extreme cases (such as mine) it just doesn't seem to make that much sense.

theprocrastinator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2006, 07:35:41 PM »
I took the money at a T4, lost the scholarship...needed a 3.0, ended up 2.94.  Wonderful things like a 90.7 were graded as a B+. 

T4s CANNOT honor all the scholarships they give out for all 3 years, its like a teaser rate.  I knew going in, but some poor saps didn't.  No worries if you want to work within 100 miles of your school...and don't mind basing your practice out of a mall suite next to 'Red Robin.'

I second the part about schools not honoring all of their scholarships. Some schools will put a large majority of their scholarship students in the same section, making it basically mathematically impossible for all of the students to maintain their scholarships even if the gpa required to do so appears to be low at a quick glance. Be aware of that as well.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2006, 07:41:26 PM »
Easiest way for a school to get high attendance, offer 70% of the students a scholarship that requires you to be top 30% to maintain. Perfect logic, and don't think for a second they'll tell you about it.

T44

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2006, 07:49:38 PM »
I'm grateful for the free year, I liked my school.  However, I did enjoy telling the dean I was leaving because of the unethical running of their scholarship program.  He tried to act surprised...but the truth was they had trapped enough students 140/180 to make me expendable.  30 of us could leave 10-20 could flunk out... it was all a part of their original plan.  They used our numbers and undergrad stuff for their mailers to next years class and pretend we were never there.

T44

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2006, 08:02:44 PM »
Oh, I'm sorry if this gets a little preachy but, I always hear the "take the money" argument when people are planning to go into public interest.  It makes sense to keep your debt low when your future is a low paying job.  However, what is faulty logic is that kids from high ranked schools don't go after those same PI jobs. 

The only time taking the money over far higher rank really makes sense is if you love the program and its region or can't attend anywhere else because of personal reasons.  In the long run almost all other theories fail.  The doors opened by a top 100 degree will balance out what you borrowed in loans over the life of your career...especially if you plan to practice over 30 years or more.  Where it gets interesting to me are people with full rides to somewhere like Northwestern v. no money at a program like Stanford.  Wish it were me!

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2006, 08:07:21 PM »
Yeah, that's a good point. There's plenty of Yale and Harvard kids going for PI jobs as well, not to mention NYU who hits that job market pretty hard.

rdlnl11

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2006, 08:00:29 PM »
the "scholarship scheme" was something that I had never thought about, but it makes perfect sense.. wow

thanks guys, very informative