Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Full ride  (Read 17958 times)

theprocrastinator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Full ride
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2006, 11:56:12 AM »
Sure, you're not actually getting any pity either, you do have a law degree and as difficult as it may be to get a job, that still puts you over at least 80% of the population, so not feeling too bad for you :) But yeah, the reality seems to be life at a tier3 school is more demanding than life at even the best schools. I also think employers are a bit too much into the 'great school' fetish, I refuse to believe that the 50th percentile on Columbia is better than the number 1 graduate at Cardozo as an example. But this is reality, and you can't pick an education by how you think the world should work.

Yeah, and I'm not really worried about the long-term, its just the next few years that are going to suck. I have a habit of digging myself into holes and then miraculously pulling myself out of them.

Also, I agree that the prestige thing is pretty ridiculous. I have good friends at t1 schools who couldn't hold a flame to the top 1% at my school. Ridiculous or not though, c'est la vie.

AspenLizzy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2006, 01:05:32 PM »
Do you attribute your difficulties finding internships and job offers more to your 1L grades or your school?  I am also interested to know why your 1L grades were lower than you had hoped.

Thanks again for posting.  This seems like it could be a very valuable thread to a lot of LSD members.

theprocrastinator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2006, 02:50:06 PM »
Do you attribute your difficulties finding internships and job offers more to your 1L grades or your school?  I am also interested to know why your 1L grades were lower than you had hoped.

Thanks again for posting.  This seems like it could be a very valuable thread to a lot of LSD members.

Well, I haven't had much trouble finding internships, just paying legal jobs.

That being said, I'm sure its a combination of the two. I can say with certainty that the school has had a large impact on my job opportunities because my troubles as of late are likely not that related to any other part of my resume since at this point I'm close to being in the top 1/3 of my class, have recieved two jurisprudence awards, have journal experience and a leadership position on an international moot court team on top of two practical, but non-paying, internships. While certainly not perfect, I tend to think that those credentials at a T1 school would make me very employable, yet I'm still having a tough time even getting my foot in the door.

As for why my 1L grades were lower than I expected, I think two things had more of an impact on that then anything else. First, the margin of error with regards to law school grades is just so small since you are competing on strict curve with very motivated and intelligent people on a single 3 hour exam. The worst grade I've gotten in law school happened to be on the easiest exam I have taken and was basically the result of me making a couple of simple mistakes because of fatigue. Second, it took some trial and error for me to learn how to take law school exams effectively and you simply don't get any feedback to work with until first semester grades are already in. Unfortunately, Success in law school is not always tied to how smart you are and how much effort you put in.

The best thing that you can do to overcome these obstacles is to take a lot of practice tests and compare them with sample answers and make sure that you are well rested and clear headed when you walk into the exam room. Reading really short commercial outlines over and over (crunchtime is my favorite) helps a lot too because it enables you to see the forest despite the trees, which is extremely important in approaching an open-ended hypo. Anyway, these three things are what helped me the most in turning my grades around.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2006, 03:02:46 PM »
I think a lot of people in your positions (high numbers, full ride) go to the school with a mindset that "My numbers beat anyone here, this is going to be a cruise to the top 10%" and then soon enough find out that the people who had 156/3.5 aren't complete tools either. Not saying this applies to you, but talking to a few other full ride people, I have definitely got that impression. Just proving that what you scored on the LSAT doesn't necessarily say so much about your academic abilities.

theprocrastinator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2006, 03:14:29 PM »
I think a lot of people in your positions (high numbers, full ride) go to the school with a mindset that "My numbers beat anyone here, this is going to be a cruise to the top 10%" and then soon enough find out that the people who had 156/3.5 aren't complete tools either. Not saying this applies to you, but talking to a few other full ride people, I have definitely got that impression. Just proving that what you scored on the LSAT doesn't necessarily say so much about your academic abilities.

To a certain extent this is definitely true. I doubt it had that great of an effect on my grades, however. To begin with, I was very aware of my own arrogance and sense of entitlement and tried to make sure that I didn't let it affect the way that I approached studying and preparing for finals. Plus, the fact that admissions numbers don't necessarily define a person's intelligence tends to become very clear in the law school classroom setting long before exam time thanks to the socratic method. Peronally, I think that the factors I mentioned in my previous post had a much greater impact on my grades than any sense of arrogance or entitlement that I might have had.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2006, 03:21:09 PM »
Yeah, for sure. love your avatar btw :)

zzzz

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2006, 12:50:44 PM »
how old are you, keno?

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2006, 12:52:26 PM »
27 and a half!  ;D

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2006, 12:59:26 PM »
I turned down a full ride at a T2 for Michigan, and I haven't regretted it for a moment.  Not suggesting that this would be the right move for everyone, but I'm very confident that I made the right decision for me. 

And no, I'm not independently wealthy, and my parents aren't paying for any of this (I'm 30, for the love of god!) and I've already borrowed for two other degrees. 
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

Brito

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ViolaLovesMusic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2006, 01:06:30 PM »
I turned down a full ride at a T2 for Michigan, and I haven't regretted it for a moment.  Not suggesting that this would be the right move for everyone, but I'm very confident that I made the right decision for me. 

And no, I'm not independently wealthy, and my parents aren't paying for any of this (I'm 30, for the love of god!) and I've already borrowed for two other degrees. 

You don't look 30 at all!
Harvard 2010