Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UF VS. FSU  (Read 29930 times)

SWATJester

• http://wikilaw.blogspot.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacSimSWATJester
    • View Profile
    • May It Please The Court -- A guide for 1L's and aspiring law students.
    • Email
Re: UF VS. FSU
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2007, 01:39:11 PM »
If this is your example of critical reading, my god. Do you comprehend the fact that it's a NICKNAME? That it's "REFERRED TO" as "THE HARVARD OF THE SOUTH". For fucks sake, nobody is saying it is Harvard, or that it is the same competition for Harvard. They're saying that it's the best school in the region. Jesus, read critically for once....
Are you a 1L or aspiring law student? You need to read this!
http://wikilaw.blogspot.com
A guide for 1L's and law students-to-be written by a 1L at American University Washington College of Law.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2007, 09:36:13 PM »
anyone know what the curve is at FSU?  UF?
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2007, 02:14:45 AM »
anyone know what the curve is at FSU?  UF?

Pretty much everyone at UF gets a B.
Vanderbilt 2010

hellonwheels

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2007, 07:59:33 PM »
Pick the one that has the best PROGRAM for you... In the arts, business, communications, english, and much of the liberal arts, FSU is a better school... it just is.  In more science and technology fields, UF is better...

Personally, I would never have gone to UF (though I was admitted) because I don't like the campus or the arrogance on the campus.  FSU's laid back atmosphere and more intimate campus appealed to me more.  Also, I loved the honors program at FSU, and our study abroad can kick UF's ass any day.

Horrible, horrible advice IMHO.  Most kids in high school don't know what they want to end up doing, even if they think they do.  Almost everyone I know has changed their major and career goals at least once, if not more.  If you are going on ranking, do overall and not individual programs.

I'm pretty sure you can go on FSU's study abroad programs without being an FSU student.  Also, outside of Florida FSU's reputation is crap.  It's not considered a great public program or whatever - it's a school that used to be good at football and now squanders offensive talent with horrible coaching, and that's about it.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2007, 01:11:06 AM »
I'm not too into the education system in Florida. Go outside the state if you can. Or go to Rollins College in Orlando.
Vanderbilt 2010

SWATJester

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2007, 01:12:00 AM »
I'm not too into the education system in Florida. Go outside the state if you can. Or go to Rollins College in Orlando.

Only go to Rollins if you need to feed your coke habit and you want to take advantage of excess supply and deflated prices.
A guide for 1L's and law students-to-be written by a 1L at American University Washington College of Law.

SWATJester

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2007, 03:42:37 PM »

Only go to Rollins if you need to feed your coke habit and you want to take advantage of excess supply and deflated prices.

::)

Okay, I think this diverges from the main point of the board, but when someone puts down my alma mater, I must reply.

If you get a scholarship to Rollins, it's well worth it.  I went there for UG and I've never dabbled in drugs... and I think it's safe to say the majority of Rollins students haven't as well.  Don't buy into the hype.

Granted, the whole blue-blood, trust-fund, rich-kid stereotype, while blown way out of proportion, is rooted in some truth.  I think when I started, something like 60% of the incoming class didn't get any financial aid (at over $40k between tuition and room/board per year, do the math on how rich you have to be to afford THAT).  However, in the last few years Rollins has taken great strides to increase the number of smart, not-as-well-off students in their ranks.  They've added many full scholarships. 

That being said, you will get an amazing education at Rollins.  It is an excellent liberal arts institution in a wonderful location.  You'll have small classes (I think the largest one I had throughout my entire time there had 25 students), you'll get to know your professors really well (great for recs), and hopefully, you'll graduate with a broad understanding of the world and a deep appreciation for learning (which, I guess is the point of the liberal arts education).

I'm not saying anything about the intelligence there. I've had family members that went to Rollins. They were coke heads. Just like every other person I know that went to Rollins is a coke head. Smart kids.....but they do a lot of coke.

jumpyoulikeabattery

• AOL Instant Messenger - pm+me
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2007, 04:01:24 PM »

::)

Okay, I think this diverges from the main point of the board, but when someone puts down my alma mater, I must reply.

If you get a scholarship to Rollins, it's well worth it.  I went there for UG and I've never dabbled in drugs... and I think it's safe to say the majority of Rollins students haven't as well.  Don't buy into the hype.

Granted, the whole blue-blood, trust-fund, rich-kid stereotype, while blown way out of proportion, is rooted in some truth.  I think when I started, something like 60% of the incoming class didn't get any financial aid (at over $40k between tuition and room/board per year, do the math on how rich you have to be to afford THAT).  However, in the last few years Rollins has taken great strides to increase the number of smart, not-as-well-off students in their ranks.  They've added many full scholarships. 

That being said, you will get an amazing education at Rollins.  It is an excellent liberal arts institution in a wonderful location.  You'll have small classes (I think the largest one I had throughout my entire time there had 25 students), you'll get to know your professors really well (great for recs), and hopefully, you'll graduate with a broad understanding of the world and a deep appreciation for learning (which, I guess is the point of the liberal arts education).

I'm not saying anything about the intelligence there. I've had family members that went to Rollins. They were coke heads. Just like every other person I know that went to Rollins is a coke head. Smart kids.....but they do a lot of coke.

Your biased sample is definitely NOT representative of the student body at Rollins!  Seriously, take it from someone who just graduated.  You must have only been familiar with certain circles.  The majority of the school is not like that.

Somewhere

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2007, 04:11:13 PM »

UF is absolutely the better law school, hands down. There's a reason it's referred to the Harvard of the South. It's a school with a national ranked reputation. When you look at the summer associate lists at major Washington and New York firms, you see UF grads, and no FSU grads (I'm talking law atm.)

If this is your example of critical reading, my god. Do you comprehend the fact that it's a NICKNAME? That it's "REFERRED TO" as "THE HARVARD OF THE SOUTH". For fucks sake, nobody is saying it is Harvard, or that it is the same competition for Harvard. They're saying that it's the best school in the region. Jesus, read critically for once....

You honestly believe the University of Florida is the best school in the south?

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
  • We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2007, 04:15:30 AM »
Regardless of what SWAT thinks...I think SWAT's point is that UF's reputation, amongst at least some, is rather high. Because reputation is such a strong factor in the legal world, it factors into the strength of the school.

That's just my guess as to what SWAT is saying. I dunno.