Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UF VS. FSU  (Read 28931 times)

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: UF VS. FSU
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2007, 09:29:14 AM »
i have heard that the floriduh schools are somewhat stingy with $$$.

any confirms/denials on this?

From what I hear, a lot of the time UF will give 1st year scholarships to either completely pay for tution, or make it the same $$$ as in-state (around 9800 I think). So then, after your first year you can become a resident and the 9800 is all you have to pay.

im already instate  :P

i want free

free, free, free!!!
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

SWATJester

• http://wikilaw.blogspot.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacSimSWATJester
    • View Profile
    • May It Please The Court -- A guide for 1L's and aspiring law students.
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2007, 03:14:41 PM »
Ok, I went to FSU undergrad, was accepted to but did not go to UF Law.

UF is absolutely the better law school, hands down. There's a reason it's referred to the Harvard of the South. It's a school with a national ranked reputation. When you look at the summer associate lists at major Washington and New York firms, you see UF grads, and no FSU grads (I'm talking law atm.)

For undergrad, keep in mind what you want to do. FSU is hands down the better communication school, EXCEPT for journalism. Journalism is UF's role. UF medical school is better and more established so if you're going pre-med and think you got the grades, that's a better place, but FSU med is easier to get into. FSU has one of the national premiere meteorology and criminology schools. UF has significantly better environmental studies courses and finance.

Also consider the town. Both Gainesville and Tallahassee are small towns. Neither has all that much to do. Gainesville has more bars, restaurants and nightlife stuff. Tallahassee, though having less nightlife, has more intense nightlife. There's a reason that FSU is a party school. At the bar that I worked at in tallahassee, it was packed wall to wall during weekdays. UF doesn't have quite that big of a party scene, but there ARE more places to go to party.

Both are fairly large sprawling campuses. Both have awful trafic.

UF has better basketball. If you like basketball, that might be a consideration. UF and FSU are both huge football schools. While UF has the better team, Football is a bigger deal at FSU...some would say it is life at FSU. I had a professor who got drunk and fell out of a window and broke his neck when FSU beat miami. (Ironically, in supreme court class). FSU football games are intense from the day before the game until the day after the game, whether it's the war drum, the garnet and gold girls/boys, the flaming spear society, chief osceola....

You might get to say you're last years national champions at UF, but the experience is so much more at FSU. Also...bobby bowden. Enough said.

If you're interested in ROTC, FSU is one of 3 (or 4 I forget) schools that have a battle streamer for ROTC, and is consistently ranked one of the top ROTC schools in the nation. It also has one of the highest amounts of combat veterans in any school ROTC program (as students, not instructors). The air force RTOC is consistently highly rated too. UF ROTC is ...less so.

If you're jewish, you might have better luck at UF, as hillel and JSU have a bigger presence. Fraternities are also bigger at UF (but realistically that's only because FSU attempts to suppress fraternities as much as possible). Sororities, however, are equally big at both places.

For undergrad, if you're on florida bright futures 
Are you a 1L or aspiring law student? You need to read this!
http://wikilaw.blogspot.com
A guide for 1L's and law students-to-be written by a 1L at American University Washington College of Law.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2007, 10:18:49 PM »
And if you're looking for a good undergrad in a bigger city, you can't go wrong with UCF. It is already one of the largest universitites in the country by enrollment, yearround internship opportunitities, new on-campus football stadium, tons of local jobs, awesome nightlife, a zillion student activities to choose from (including a great Greek system!) and your professors will range from tenured published faculty to adjunct staff who are actual movers and shakers in their fields in the local industry.
Vanderbilt 2010

Socrates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2007, 10:37:11 PM »
Since when is UF's law school considered the Harvard of the South? That's pretty laughable.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2007, 05:37:44 PM »
Since when is UF's law school considered the Harvard of the South? That's pretty laughable.

Not the LS. The undergrad has been referred to as such. Not sure why.
Vanderbilt 2010

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2007, 06:23:26 PM »
is it easier to get into UF LS if you are from Florida?

Theres no set % of in staters, if thats what you mean.
Vandy 1L... really?

SWATJester

• http://wikilaw.blogspot.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacSimSWATJester
    • View Profile
    • May It Please The Court -- A guide for 1L's and aspiring law students.
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2007, 03:55:30 PM »

Not the LS. The undergrad has been referred to as such. Not sure why.

The law school is referred to such as well, according to Dean Jerry. Pretentious people tend to think that a non-ivy school or a state school can't be a top school.
Are you a 1L or aspiring law student? You need to read this!
http://wikilaw.blogspot.com
A guide for 1L's and law students-to-be written by a 1L at American University Washington College of Law.

Socrates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2007, 07:11:00 PM »
I understand that a state school can be a top school. I go to one of them. UF is simply not in the discussion with Harvard.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2007, 07:19:14 PM »
I understand that a state school can be a top school. I go to one of them. UF is simply not in the discussion with Harvard.

titcr
...man, you was who you was before you got here

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
  • We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2007, 04:06:26 AM »
"Harvard of the South" refers to a mythical institution which is obviously not in existence. there can be only one Harvard so in reality, the entire discussion is absurd.