Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UF VS. FSU  (Read 30190 times)

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: UF VS. FSU
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2007, 04:28:52 PM »
so, anyway, how hard is it to take a degree and leave your home state?

these schools would be hard to beat for tuition, but its looking less n less like im going to stay in floriduh after school...

UG or law school degree?

I have a degree from a Florida school, and I've done quite well. Unless you're coming out of UG from an Ivy, don't expect any favors or handouts when you leave your home market. It's possible, but it takes hard work and a lot of networking, which most people are more than happy to provide. This is a good time to join a professional group or national service club.

for law school...
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2007, 04:42:03 PM »
well, you posted your ? in the pre-law in high school section :)

it won't be a cakewalk, but you do one or more of these three things:
* Get amazing grades
* really stand out on law review or moot court
* get ridiculously good internships out of state in the summer
then, you will be fine. You will still have to work hard and network, but it is doable.

I've been talking to alumni of the FL schools I have applied to with these same concerns, and they've shared success stories of classmates who did one or more of the above three things and scored great jobs in other states and other major markets.

At worst, you'll be in-state for a few years and by then, your experience will carry you. It's not the end of the world, and it goes by so very fast. At best, you'll be a law school rockstar and land a fabulous job in NYC, LA or ATL. Or wherever you want to be.

And while I no longer reside there, I'd appreciate it if you could stop calling my home state "Floriduh." While it has its share of crazies, there are some genuinely wonderful people who live there that don't deserve to be lumped into the stupid category.
Vanderbilt 2010

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2007, 04:43:31 PM »
well, you posted your ? in the pre-law in high school section :)

it won't be a cakewalk, but you do one or more of these three things:
* Get amazing grades
* really stand out on law review or moot court
* get ridiculously good internships out of state in the summer
then, you will be fine. You will still have to work hard and network, but it is doable.

I've been talking to alumni of the FL schools I have applied to with these same concerns, and they've shared success stories of classmates who did one or more of the above three things and scored great jobs in other states and other major markets.

At worst, you'll be in-state for a few years and by then, your experience will carry you. It's not the end of the world, and it goes by so very fast. At best, you'll be a law school rockstar and land a fabulous job in NYC, LA or ATL. Or wherever you want to be.

dang, did post it here, didnt i?

it was at the top of my search....

thanks for the info  :)

darlinalexi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Southwestern Class of 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2007, 12:16:16 PM »
Pick the one that has the best PROGRAM for you... In the arts, business, communications, english, and much of the liberal arts, FSU is a better school... it just is.  In more science and technology fields, UF is better...

Personally, I would never have gone to UF (though I was admitted) because I don't like the campus or the arrogance on the campus.  FSU's laid back atmosphere and more intimate campus appealed to me more.  Also, I loved the honors program at FSU, and our study abroad can kick UF's ass any day.

Visit the campuses.  Pick a major and find which school has a better program in what you want to study... Don't pick based on rank or where others are going. Find the best spot for you...

And for what it's worth, I don't think Adcoms really care which you graduated from if you did well in your program and took full advantage of the opportunities available to you.   Both UF and FSU have excellent reputations as public programs.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2007, 09:29:17 PM »
was up in gainesville this weekend, UF is a nice school

the campus is HUGE!!!

and lotsa honeys  ;D

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2007, 09:15:45 AM »
i have heard that the floriduh schools are somewhat stingy with $$$.

any confirms/denials on this?

darlinalexi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Southwestern Class of 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2007, 09:23:23 AM »
Yes, they are... but the poster will probably have 75%-100% of his tuition covered from the Bright Futures Scholarship (if he didn't have this, he shouldn't be even considering UF because it's doubtful that he'd be admitted).

Additionally, I know that the greatest academic merit award (not counting national merit and stuff) is like $1200 a semester (for FSU).  Then you can still get need based aid, private scholarships, departmental scholarships, etc.

It's very manageable to high achieving in-state students.  Out of state will get you.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2007, 09:29:28 AM »
Yes, they are... but the poster will probably have 75%-100% of his tuition covered from the Bright Futures Scholarship (if he didn't have this, he shouldn't be even considering UF because it's doubtful that he'd be admitted).

Additionally, I know that the greatest academic merit award (not counting national merit and stuff) is like $1200 a semester (for FSU).  Then you can still get need based aid, private scholarships, departmental scholarships, etc.

It's very manageable to high achieving in-state students.  Out of state will get you.

i meant for law school.

i keep posting here by accident...

dat_raw_n_tellect

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My song!
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2007, 07:28:43 AM »
Keep in mind that if you can get into UF, you may be able to get significant scholarships from other schools. When applying to law school, the quality of your institution doesn't really count as much as how well you do, and at big public universities, you'll be in a lot of lecture classes where you may never even see the professor. If you go to a smaller school, be it public (a school like New College, for example) or private, you're likely to have smaller classes and can get to know your professors better so they can give you good recommendations. I've spent some time teaching in high schools and I know that they tell you where you go to UG matters, but in your case it doesn't really matter that much.

I agree with this.  I am from Florida and was admitted to UF, FSU, FAMU and FIU (These were the only Florida schools I applied to).  I chose FIU for various reasons...being able to go to school for free, due to scholarships, was one of them.  You can get internships easily if you do well in school.  There are several programs that you can work with that you can get internships through.  For example, the year I graduated, I interned at the Library of Congress in the Congressional Research Service (D.C).  I was placed by the Hispanic Association of College and Universities' National Internship Program. (FIU is a HACU, the same way FAMU is a HBCU).  I am not Latino, but I am African American.  This program takes students classified as college freshman and higher and you do not have to be a minority to be in the program.  After my internship, I came to Japan and am currently participating in the Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme. 

So I think I did well and went to a regular public school.  Pick the school that you think will offer you the most opportunities and give you the most support.  I know people are probably going to say not to go to FIU.  I personally do not agree with this seeing how I was accepted into other Florida institutions, but FIU was the best school for me in my case.  (The Provost at the time, Dr. Mark Rosenberg, recruited me to FIU.  He is now Chancellor over all 11 Florida public unversities! http://www.flbog.org/chancellor/  Not too shabby, eh  ;)

Where ever you choose to attend, I am sure you will do uberly well!  GOOD LUCK!
"What you get free costs too much."
-Jean Anouilh

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2007, 08:37:03 AM »
i have heard that the floriduh schools are somewhat stingy with $$$.

any confirms/denials on this?

From what I hear, a lot of the time UF will give 1st year scholarships to either completely pay for tution, or make it the same $$$ as in-state (around 9800 I think). So then, after your first year you can become a resident and the 9800 is all you have to pay.
Vandy 1L... really?