Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UF VS. FSU  (Read 28947 times)

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
Re: UF VS. FSU
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2006, 12:30:23 PM »
Don't think you'll find many acting gigs in Tallahassee... Within Florida, Orlando or Miami are more likely places for that.
Vanderbilt 2010

jeffrey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2006, 11:14:17 PM »
lol, I don't mean like real films, i man like short documentries done by the film students or something.

jeffrey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2006, 06:32:58 PM »
I thought that lsac re-calc your gpa

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2006, 06:55:25 PM »
UF flat out does not have minuses. So any grade in the 90's is considered a full A, and in the 80's is a full B or greater. So any grade on my transcript that is an A- would have been an A at UF. If two people got the grade of 92 one at UF and one at FSU, LSAC would award the UF person four points for their A, and the FSU student 3.66 points for their A-.

This is a good point. A lot of schools categorize an A- as anything below a 94, B- anything below an 84 and so on, so you can find your GPA lowered by quite a bit when compared to someone who goes to a school that doesn't give any minuses. I think LSAC is more strict with minuses than some schools in terms of computing your GPA, so that can bring it down even more. My degree-granting GPA went down from my undergrad institution's GPA because of this.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2006, 07:16:31 PM »
Back in my day there were video replays of the business courses. That said, it seems like people who aren't even business majors end up in Rush and Denslow's classes. I just went there for a summer and was lucky that Denslow actually taught that class, but most of my friends who went through it had it on video replay. I went to another state school in a different state normally and it did not have nearly so many TA-taught and non-face-to-face classes as UF. From what I've heard from my other friends who did not go to UF but went to other Florida schools, UF is the biggest offender in that department.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2006, 07:35:10 PM »
Back in my day there were video replays of the business courses. That said, it seems like people who aren't even business majors end up in Rush and Denslow's classes. I just went there for a summer and was lucky that Denslow actually taught that class, but most of my friends who went through it had it on video replay. I went to another state school in a different state normally and it did not have nearly so many TA-taught and non-face-to-face classes as UF. From what I've heard from my other friends who did not go to UF but went to other Florida schools, UF is the biggest offender in that department.

Yeah it is pretty bad. My degree will actually be from FSU, but I was admitted to both originally and UF has been quite cool about trying to accomodate me into some classes that just aren't offered at FSU. Aside from a better course offering (though at UF it is a nightmare to get into some courses) is the fact that they get better guest speakers. The lecture series that UF puts on are just flat out better than FSU's. The TA thing can get annoying, and the online thing too, but I really can't bash the school. They are moving up in a big way.

I guess I am the opposite. Almost everyone I know who went there had an abysmal GPAs when compared with my friends who went elsewhere (to places that were roughly equivalent) and I have to think it's because it's so hard to motivate yourself when you never see any professor. However, I do think that the professor quality is better there once you get to the point where the professor is actually teaching the class. In some ways, I can see why there is such a push to do the CC to 4-year college because some people just don't do well in the lower-level environment UF provides.

stjobs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2007, 01:29:14 AM »
I attend UF. I'm sure some of the large business classes are awful, but if you are diligent about researching courses it's possible to find great classes with 20-25 people. I haven't had any in the past three terms with more than thirty (OK, one had forty). Note that the better professors and interesting courses are at the upper level (3000/4000) rather than intro courses. I think these are really easier since the courses are smaller, they focus more on insight and intellectual stimulation rather than rote learning, and the material is interesting.

I don't think my GPA is bad, but then again I've carefully avoided any business or econ - although I did take stats (which was online).

In my experience, the people from my high school who went to FSU were either holding unrealistic hopes about transferring to the film program or just not cut out for UF. Of course, my high school is in Gainesville  ::)
HLS 2010

ctg31

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2007, 12:05:20 AM »
Just a note to the OP and anyone else in this situation...

Consider the "lower" schools in Florida.  Truth be told, your UG institution (especially considering the fact that if you are in FL, you are NOT at an elite school) doesn't matter that much.  I went to USF.  The average caliber of student may be lower, but there are some valid things to consider here.

1.  USF is in a truly metropolitan area.  I have had incredible opportunities the past four years.  The first year I worked for an urban search and rescue robotics team.  Second year for the Division of Infectious Diseases at the College of Medicine.  I have spent the last two years as an intern with a professional sports franchise.  So many of my classmates have had opportunities that just do not present themselves in pure "college towns".

2.  The Honors College here is amazing.  The administration, faculty, and students are on a level with some of the best and brightest I have seen.  Major perks, including large scholarships, early registration, and the ability to take graduate level courses and get to work with faculty on a one-on-one basis.  This includes a GREAT undergraduate research program, where UGs are working in PAID positions side-by-side with the top faculty members in their department.

3. My college education was completely paid for.  I got big time scholarships here.  I know people other places that have taken out loans to go to UG.  Not a brilliant idea if you plan on racking up 150k in debt for law school.  These people really regret going to a marginally better school and not being able to live so comfortably.

This was certainly the right choice for me, so I hope you guys take it into consideration.  Anyone that tells you that you have a big advantage to the top law schools coming from UF or FSU over USF or UCF probably attends one of the first two. 

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2007, 04:10:13 PM »
so, anyway, how hard is it to take a degree and leave your home state?

these schools would be hard to beat for tuition, but its looking less n less like im going to stay in floriduh after school...
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2007, 04:22:56 PM »
so, anyway, how hard is it to take a degree and leave your home state?

these schools would be hard to beat for tuition, but its looking less n less like im going to stay in floriduh after school...

UG or law school degree?

I have a degree from a Florida school, and I've done quite well. Unless you're coming out of UG from an Ivy, don't expect any favors or handouts when you leave your home market. It's possible, but it takes hard work and a lot of networking, which most people are more than happy to provide. This is a good time to join a professional group or national service club.
Vanderbilt 2010