Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UF VS. FSU  (Read 28830 times)

jeffrey

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: UF VS. FSU
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 03:01:33 PM »
So you mean attedn fsu with the "intellectly declined" students, as i like too call, to stand out, b/c I don't if I'll be compared to other students from FSU or other stdents in Florida (ig.UF/U.Miami).

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 03:20:29 PM »
You might consider some of the other Florida schools aside from UF/FSU: UCF, USF, Rollins, Florida Southern, Flagler, Miami.
Vanderbilt 2010

jeffrey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 04:50:30 PM »
Well, U Miami, is too expensive and totally not worth it for undergrad, i need to save as much $ as possible(law school loans will do for me) same with rollins $$$, plus too close to home:UCF/Rollins. Flagler and southern (tampa=no,no) are colleges. I want to meet and connect with the law students, get as much insight as possible. Plus I'll be (dbl)majoring in Political Science and Psychology w/a minor in Philosophy, and fsu/uf are btter in those ares than, the others. ThankS! Though.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 06:37:45 PM »
Well, U Miami, is too expensive and totally not worth it for undergrad, i need to save as much $ as possible(law school loans will do for me) same with rollins $$$, plus too close to home:UCF/Rollins. Flagler and southern (tampa=no,no) are colleges. I want to meet and connect with the law students, get as much insight as possible. Plus I'll be (dbl)majoring in Political Science and Psychology w/a minor in Philosophy, and fsu/uf are btter in those ares than, the others. ThankS! Though.

Keep in mind that if you can get into UF, you may be able to get significant scholarships from other schools. When applying to law school, the quality of your institution doesn't really count as much as how well you do, and at big public universities, you'll be in a lot of lecture classes where you may never even see the professor. If you go to a smaller school, be it public (a school like New College, for example) or private, you're likely to have smaller classes and can get to know your professors better so they can give you good recommendations. I've spent some time teaching in high schools and I know that they tell you where you go to UG matters, but in your case it doesn't really matter that much.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 09:33:50 PM »
And really, you don't learn anything in college anyway. It's just an incubation period so you can get a piece of paper that puts you on a level playing field with other people so you can get a real job, not at the Burger Shack, gaining experience and common sense.
Vanderbilt 2010

jeffrey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2006, 03:41:34 AM »
Aye ya yaye! Ok, so from my personal experince coming from a SMALL high school to a larger one, although I love my school now, the academics were better, however, being in a much bigger school I'm able to stand out even more, for example. I'm in the "top ten" % right, had I been in the smaller school where there are less than 100 studnts per grade I would literally be my percentage(i.g 10%=#10), also at the bigger school I feel that i've gained more social skills and have enjoyed the hyp of social events(homecoming games). So although I know I'll have better academics I gusse since I'll be going to law school that I might as well attend a state university and enjoy the diversity and quanity. And I think that the resources at a large college with an accredited law school right by will be excellent.
Although you've brought a great point, from my experience larger schools are better, think of it this way, when I/you become an attorney, (ost likely large firm since working 80+hr/wk, is fine w/me) the partner nor will my associates give me the attention that a proffessor at a small college would, and it'll be kinda of a shocker when I (Ex) ask the partner for help and he'll respond figure it out, so adapting to a large college has more benefits.

jeffrey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2006, 11:11:15 AM »
lol, huh I don't get it, i just read me and hls and my stomach began to rumble w/excitment, lol. What are you implying.

Javi

• AOL Instant Messenger - javisays
    • View Profile
    • my law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 08:17:53 PM »
You know, FSU gets a bad rap by some for being alledgedly inferior to UF.  I myself am a soon to be FSU alum (who was NOT rejected from Florida) who chose FSU because I saw it as a place that was enjoyable, and unique.  At the time I chose FSU, i picked it in part because of the fact that I had a sister at UF, and wanted to be away from my family for college (also I can't stand UF football).  And let me tell you, although it may have been a bad reason to pick FSU, I'm very glad I did. 

FSU is bashed by UF lovers for not being comparable academically, but FSU has plenty of strong academic programs in its own right.  The accounting program is in the top 20 nationwide, the risk management insurance program is number 6, the creative writing program is arguably first in the nation, the psychology and science departments have just recieved new buildings and that should help the programs excell substantially, not to mention we have a top notch film school (not of much use for prelaw, but w/e).  There are also other factors to consider when comparing the schools.  Such as the size of the campus and the availability of adjacent housing.  FSU's campus is much smaller than UF's (whose campus is so enourmous it makes it impossible to get around on foot), for example.  UF has much larger class sizes, and many of the classes are online lectures, rather than actual class (especially if you're a business major).  Also, FSU has the opportunity you discussed for workign with the govt.  Someone else responded that you should look for a job in the summer.  That is not too plausible, considering that session runs mainly during the spring, I would know, I interned last spring myself, and it was a wonderful experience.

UF ultimately has a bigger student body and a bigger alumni base, thats why you always hear so many people talking about how UF trumps FSU.  Quite frankly, I have plenty of friends at UF, and the education they recieve is identical to what friends of mine at FSU recieve.  The education is just what you make out of it.  As far as social life goes, the schools are comparable, with tallahassee being a bit more laid back and bar oriented, whereas gainesville is slightly more upscale and club oriented.  Other than that these two schools are way too similar to merit the amount of contrasting people like to do with them.

What I'm saying bottom line is that you should not write off FSU as a safety school, and one school is not necesarrily better than another just because of rank (frankly when it comes down to the process of applying to LS, i dont think they will make a discernible difference btw FSU n UF), and that there are plenty of factors in deciding which to attend, and ultimately the decision should not be made on what people from this board say, but rather by visiting both yourself and seeing what both places have to offer.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2006, 10:39:38 AM »
ultimately the decision should not be made on what people from this board say, but rather by visiting both yourself and seeing what both places have to offer.

I agree. Because I hate FSU.
Vanderbilt 2010

jeffrey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2006, 12:25:19 PM »
WoW! "top notch film school (not of much use for prelaw, but w/e)"
let start of by saying that that is part of the reason why I love FSU I can't wait to meet of the artsy ppl and possibly volunteer at a film shoot since i looove acting(but it's not a stable job, so i'll never choose that over law school, lol). And I totally agree with everything you said, I can't wiat to go to FSU (find out DEC). The only thing that worried me before was the diff. amount of people that were acepted into harvard Law, now it's FSU 1, and UF 13, but I think it has to do with other factors other than "prestige" so I'm not worried anymore.

Thank you all for your comments, I reallly appreciate it. but I've made up my mind, the only thing is that I regret signing an ED contract.