Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: columbia LORs  (Read 1197 times)

hgolightly

• View Profile
columbia LORs
« on: September 05, 2006, 03:25:14 PM »
Two questions:
- Am I correct in understanding that while Columbia offers a school specific rec form, they don't care if you use LSDAS instead? (i.e. in contrast to Stanford which prefers its own form)
- It says in the Columbia instructions that if you're working full time, one of your recs should be from your supervisor (but with a caveat about selecting what recs will be best if you can't get what they're asking for).... I've only been out of undergrad for a year and in my current job for 6 months (and it's not even technically full time - long story) and I don't think that my supervisor would write a strong recommendation (not to mention I don't want to tell my supervisor that I'm planning on leaving for law school almost a year before I need to give notice). If I'd been in the workforce for a few years it would be a different story, but my academic recommendations will be very, very strong and I just don't think it's worth "wasting" an LOR on a letter that would essentially say I'm good at my job. (This job is more about what I am learning by watching others; my specific responsibilities are fun, but not particularly relevant to law school. What relevance my job has to law school, I've already played up on my resume following Anna Ivey's advice.) Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on this -- esp. current/past Columbia applicants.

jackietob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: columbia LORs
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 03:38:10 PM »
It sounds to me like you are doing the right thing, esp. if you think your work letter won't add much. I am in a similar position, (have been out of school for a year, etc), and I'm not including a work LOR.

dollarbill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 05:57:45 PM »
Don't worry about it.  LORs matter very, very little.  If you don't want to ask your supervisor for one, don't.

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
  • New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 03:05:07 PM »
Don't worry about it.  LORs matter very, very little.  If you don't want to ask your supervisor for one, don't.

I wouldn't dismiss LORs so lightly, especially at a school like Columbia..
why not anonymously call Columbia and give the general gist of your sittuation, and see what they say?
Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09

Bored? Try the mafia boss. (Warning: addictive!)
http://www.themafiaboss.com/?refer=admiral28
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=yalecol06

xk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 05:54:38 PM »

why not anonymously call Columbia and give the general gist of your sittuation, and see what they say?

Hey.  How's Harvard?  You're not regretting turning down the Hamilton are you?  Speaking of which, do you think your LORs helped you get the offer?  Work experiences?  Personal statement?  I am considering several schools, but I think scholarships may be the deciding factor (hopefully).

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 09:47:09 AM »

Hey.  How's Harvard?  You're not regretting turning down the Hamilton are you?  Speaking of which, do you think your LORs helped you get the offer?  Work experiences?  Personal statement?  I am considering several schools, but I think scholarships may be the deciding factor (hopefully).

Harvard is cool..a little overwhelming but I think they're all like that. No, I'm not regeratting turning down the Hamilton. I don't know exactly what part of my application helped me to get the offer, though...I tried to put my best foot forward on each part. Some people think it's based partly on test scores. I think it's pretty common for people who get into Harvard to be offered the Hamilton at Columbia, so I think it's more of a multi-factor evaluation?
Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09

Resident CLS Troll

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 09:49:58 AM »
Actually, I've found that Columbia's NOT all that overwhelming.  From what I've seen, most people have enough time to relax and have fun. 

But that's just my opinion of course.

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 09:52:49 AM »
Actually, I've found that Columbia's NOT all that overwhelming.  From what I've seen, most people have enough time to relax and have fun. 

LMAO. I have 3 friends in your class who disagree with you.
Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09

Resident CLS Troll

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 10:03:47 AM »

LMAO. I have 3 friends in your class who disagree with you.

our sample size is too small.  let me go take a poll and get back to you.

in any case, i myself haven't found it overwhelming.  maybe i just expected more work.

Resident CLS Troll

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 11:03:10 AM »
Could you try to set up a poll that isn't massively flawed?  Just for once?

you realize that by "flawed", she means that they're inconvenient for her.

Stan's threads and questions are always deeply flawed.

what's flawed about my thread?  ;)

They never quite fit what I have to say on the approximate topic, and I have to side-step or manipulate your language a little.

now could YOU try to stop riding on other people's coattails?  Just for once?