Law School Discussion

RE-APPLICATION / PRIOR MATRICULATION

RE-APPLICATION / PRIOR MATRICULATION
« on: September 04, 2006, 01:58:10 PM »
I was wondering if someone knows how law schools treat my situation as follows.  I enrolled in a law school in Fall 2004 but within the first week of classes decided that the timing wasn't right so I withdrew completely.  I only attended one class but the school has noted a prior matriculation on my law school report.  Two years later, I have the urge to go back in a year or two.  The original law school is located in an area that I no longer live so reapplying at that school is not an option.  I am thinking that I will retake the LSAT and reapply to other schools.  Does anyone know how admissions treat prior matriculations especially at other schools?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: RE-APPLICATION / PRIOR MATRICULATION
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 04:39:10 PM »
I am in the same situation as you -- I dropped out of a top 30 law school a few years ago right after orientation. It was a bad idea to begin with; I had just given birth to my twins a month before school started. Unfortunately, in doing so, I gave up a $15,000/year scholarship.

I reapplied in 2005 and was rejected or waitlisted by literally every single school I appled to -- I had a 165 LSAT and 3.4 gpa. I applied to Case, WUSTL, GW (PT), Tulane, and Loyola of Chicago

I called one of the admissions directors and asked her if it was the prior matriculation on my report that had hurt my application. She flat out said "yes, i'm afraid so." 

However, I spoke with the admissions counselor at a school I was waitlisted at,and she said that if I reapplied this year, it would show that i was "serious" about attending law school :-/

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 07:24:53 PM »
I think distancing yourself is key, or applying to schools that would kill for someone with your LSAT. The person I know who reapplied immediately went from a T5 to a T25, and the person I know who was able to jump up significantly had last applied 5 years prior. Thethe, assuming you were coming straight out of undergrad, I think a lot of adcomms worry that you just lacked the maturity to tough out law school. I would guess if you've been committed to one job or cause for the entire time since you dropped out, it will show you are mature and can stick with something.

LSdropout- wow, sorry about your bad luck. It seems like they are worried that your children will take your time away from law school. Have you thought about applying to schools that consider themselves family friendly and offer some sort of support system for people with kids?

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 12:40:34 AM »
hmm. that's a good idea.do you know what schools are considered family friendly?

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 06:02:41 AM »
I go to ND and most people who have famlies say it's a good environment for a family. Housing is cheap (whether you buy or rent), and people who have families tend to have a good support network for each other. I don't know of any others though. I would just email schools and see what they have to say.