Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GPA Addendum  (Read 2325 times)

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
GPA Addendum
« on: September 05, 2006, 10:14:56 AM »
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: GPA Addendum
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 10:46:36 AM »
I don't think your GPA is low enough to justify this addendum. It's low if you're reaching for the elite schools, but it's not low for the overall population. It's average. Your UG performance is what it is, and you can't do anything about it now. You'll look like you're whining if you write that addendum.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 10:57:01 AM »
You don't need a GPA addendum.
Vanderbilt 2010

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 01:58:13 PM »
 i dont think you need an addendum, they are for people like me who partied through college the first go around and now (due to LSACs future crushing must have all transcripts ever, no matter how old they are rule   >:() have a sucky LSAC cum GPA to explain away
...man, you was who you was before you got here

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 05:37:43 PM »
I agree -- you're fine without an addendum. They'll see the graduate transcripts too, if you send them in.

And I agree with jarhead -- the addendums are also for people like me who just coasted and didn't bother to try to do anything more than pass.
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split

Vick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 05:48:26 PM »
Your circumstances aren't so extraordinary to justify an addendum. 

Like many people, you had moments of laziness in your undergrad.  Don't try to pass it off as immaturity, it just looks like a transparent, weak excuse.   

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 05:54:26 PM »
Your circumstances aren't so extraordinary to justify an addendum. 

Like many people, you had moments of laziness in your undergrad.  Don't try to pass it off as immaturity, it just looks like a transparent, weak excuse.   

how is acknowledging that 10 or more years ago when i and a few other of my non-trad brethren were snot nosed 20 years old we goofed off and did absolutely nothing in college a weak excuse....

paigeroo

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 10:40:48 AM »
My UGPA was ok (3.4, Politics, Big Ten), but it definitely shows that I took advantage of large lecture halls without attendance rosters (aka sleeping through class) and the abundance of extremely cheap happy hours ($1 pitchers!).  Since then I've taken some grad courses (no degree) PT while working FT and have a 4.0 in those.  Is it worth writing a GPA Addendum talking about how now that I'm "grown up" and working, I've matured into a disciplined person able to work hard and get good grades? 

I know these addendums are more for people who got solid C's one semester because of taking care of their terminally ill family member, but I didn't know if it was worth it here.  Will it just highlight that I could have tried harder as an undergrad (and maybe will revert to my drunken ways in LS) or will it paint me as someone who's now ready to hit the books?

Overall I'm trying to highlight my appiclation as a "mature" 26 year old.  Not quite Non-Trad, but still more disciplined than a 22 yo straight out of UG.

How did you do on the LSAT?  If your LSAT is disproportionately higher, than you may be able to write some sort of addendum to show that a 3.4 just doesn't paint an accurate academic picture.

paigeroo

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 10:42:45 AM »
i dont think you need an addendum, they are for people like me who partied through college the first go around and now (due to LSACs future crushing must have all transcripts ever, no matter how old they are rule   >:() have a sucky LSAC cum GPA to explain away

Like your sig jarhead  ;D  So true.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 03:42:00 PM »
thanks... ;)