Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Im from sri lanka... Am I URM?  (Read 900 times)

kasun

• View Profile
Im from sri lanka... Am I URM?
« on: September 04, 2006, 03:37:48 AM »
Sri lanka is island in the indean ocean...Sri Lanka has population of about 15 million..It is still a developing nation. If Asians are not URM will I fall under the catergory of or Asian.. or will i be URM?  We immigrated here when I was 11.. My parents have limmited highschool education, My mom is a teachers aid, and my dad is a cook for a resturant... and i was the first person in my family to graduate highschool and was the first to go to college. Also We are buddist... will this be enough to justify a diversity statement?

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Im from sri lanka... Am I URM?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 12:29:08 PM »
That reminds me of an enlightening incident about identity and self-concept. I was with a group of about 15 Indians and Pakistani for a club meeting. The following discussion occurred:
"Where's Mike?"
"Who's Mike?"
"He's the Asian guy"

To which I could not help but comment: "But you're all Asian!"

And one replied: "No, no ... we're SOUTH Asian."

Now, for the URM question ... read the definitions. If none is presented on applications, it can be considered ambiguous, and you're allowed to read into it what a reasonable person would understand it to mean. I would venture that if you are American, and you're ethnic/national/religious/whatever criterion  group is found in law schools in a smaller proportion than in the general population, you qualify as underrepresented.

And CANE is right ... diversity statement is a must
Penn (2007)

kasun

• View Profile
Re: Im from sri lanka... Am I URM?
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 04:22:01 PM »

-Gillesthegreat... your story, is great insite into my cluture.
my people like to think there differnt from every one else...
anyways
thanks for the advise... ill start on my statement soon as I have my thoughts organized.