Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Early Decision or No?  (Read 609 times)

PromiscuousBoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • That is all.
    • View Profile
Early Decision or No?
« on: September 03, 2006, 12:43:36 PM »
hey all,

i need some help. badly.

i really want to go to Harvard/Yale, but i dont know what my chances are.

also, i am thinking of doing Chicago or Columbia ED, just so i can assure myself that i have a school to go to next fall.

but i love yale/harvard. what should i do?!!?!?!?!?! ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
\ so confused.

dollarbill

• View Profile
Re: Early Decision or No?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 02:00:32 PM »
Apply early, but not ED.  Just get your app in early in the cycle.  Your odds aren't great, but they're not horrible.  You'll definitely get into at least a couple of the T14.

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 04:27:14 PM »
If Chicago or Columbia aren't your first choice, you shouldn't apply ED there.
University of Michigan Law School, Class of 2010
LSN

PromiscuousBoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • That is all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 04:40:16 PM »
Apply early, but not ED.  Just get your app in early in the cycle.  Your odds aren't great, but they're not horrible.  You'll definitely get into at least a couple of the T14.

wow i feel like i shouldnt be applying at all. "your odds aren't that great" well yeah because of my GPA huh? *&^%, i had some *&^% i went through my sophomore year and thats why its low.
\ so confused.

PromiscuousBoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • That is all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 04:42:45 PM »
Not to sound overly harsh here, but I'm a 3.6/178 and I'm not feeling 100% "assured" for admission into Columbia and Chicago. Nevermind Harvard and Yale.

Of course, don't let me dissuade you. It's just, well, extreme confidence in others is annoying when you don't have nearly as much in your own chances.

My advice? Don't apply ED anywhere if you're not 100% certain you would attend that school over another one you're applying. Sounds simplistic, but so be it.

not even URM status helps?
\ so confused.

Chandler Bing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 05:21:21 PM »
You need to answer 4 questions

Would you rather go to Yale over Chicago?
Would you rather go to Yale over Columbia?
Would you rather go to Harvard over Chicago?
Would you rather go to Harvard over Columbia?

If the answer to any ONE of those questions is yes or I'm not sure, then don't apply Early Decision to Chicago or Columbia. Early decision does not guarantee you admission into a school, all it does is guarantee that you must go to the school if they accept you. And if you would be disappointed to find your Yale acceptance in the mailbox the same day as your acceptance to Columbia ED, then I wouldn't apply early decision. Just get your apps in early, you'll be fine.
Monica (attending): Northwestern!
Rachel/Phoebe (still in the running): Northwestern $$, Chicago $
Janice(withdrawn): SLU, Loyola Chicago, Chicago-Kent, Depaul, UIUC, Duke, WUSTL

Cycle's over!

letylyf

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 05:24:34 PM »
wow i feel like i shouldnt be applying at all. "your odds aren't that great" well yeah because of my GPA huh? sh*t, i had some sh*t i went through my sophomore year and thats why its low.
Well, explain that sophomore year in your applications, do it sincerely, and don't mention it if you just partied too much. Oh, and I'd avoid profanity in your applications...

Don't be too discouraged by what people here say, you have to make your own decisions. I will agree with annonymous that it's slightly irritating to hear someone speak of Columbia and Chicago as "back-ups."

PromiscuousBoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • That is all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 08:17:11 PM »
wow i feel like i shouldnt be applying at all. "your odds aren't that great" well yeah because of my GPA huh? sh*t, i had some sh*t i went through my sophomore year and thats why its low.
Well, explain that sophomore year in your applications, do it sincerely, and don't mention it if you just partied too much. Oh, and I'd avoid profanity in your applications...

Don't be too discouraged by what people here say, you have to make your own decisions. I will agree with annonymous that it's slightly irritating to hear someone speak of Columbia and Chicago as "back-ups."

well my sophomore year: illness.  grades fell.  academic probation. i pulled myself out within the next term.

i have a great upward grade trend. more A's in junior year than fresh and soph combined (sadly).

nothing to do with partying.

hell, i'd be happy at chicago.

anything that isnt california :-P

but i am applying extra early. visiting east coast schools this fall (esp harvard/yale/columbia)

\ so confused.