Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can a LS see the number of LS's you have applied to on your LSAC report?  (Read 1079 times)

carlylerun

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I have heard a rumor that law schools can see the number (not the name, et al.) of other law schools you have applied to from your LSAC report? Is this actually true, or just a rumor?

Electric Counterpoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • Harvard 2010
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Can a LS see the number of LS's you have applied to on your LSAC report?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 09:57:12 PM »
Just a rumor -- and what law school is so foolish as to expect all its applicants to apply nowhere else?
Former mostly-anonymous admissions cycle blogger. Current law student.

coffee girl

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 12:54:48 AM »
Fordham asks the applicant to list any law schools they're applying to.  I have 2 problems with that question:

1. There's only enough room for 5 schools (I'm applying to 11).
2. What business of theirs is it?

Should I just leave it blank, since they won't be able determine which other schools I'm applying to?  Or should I squeeze five schools into those boxes?

coffee girl

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 01:51:32 AM »
Hmm, good point.  What could it hurt if I squeeze say 2 other NY schools in there and 3 other schools that are similarly ranked...

RUMike

• Sr. Citizen
  • I switched it up with a self tar.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mike101985
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 02:12:41 AM »
For Fordham, I actually added the attachment (I'm applying to 10 schools). I don't want them to delay my application for some stupid reason like not listing the schools.

coffee girl

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 02:14:04 AM »
Okay, I didn't read the fine print.  They encourage you to add an electronic attachment if additional space is needed.  Damn.  It's like meeting someone named Harry at a bar and then digging him only to have to tell him that he's one of 11 guys you're considering.  Great...

coffee girl

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 02:15:25 AM »
Haha, our posts intersected there.  Do you agree with my rant?

dollarbill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 06:11:44 AM »
First of all, no, of course they can't.  That would be ridiculous, especially as every school would get a different number.

Second of all, there's no reason to bother sending a whole list to Fordham.  It's not like they really care and there's no way for them to know which schools you applied to, anyway.

himay

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 11:02:58 AM »
I think Anna Ivey addresses this issue of when schools ask you to list where else you're applying to.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe she tells you to list a few similarly ranked schools, and if you "decide to apply to some schools after filling out that schools' app" you can't very well go back and fix it  :D 

She said she didn't think it was a fair question to ask, so maybe it's okay to not completely answer it fairly.  It only makes sense for your application list to change over time, so if the list that you put on the app is not complete, OF COURSE it would be because you later decided to add more.

RUMike

• Sr. Citizen
  • I switched it up with a self tar.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mike101985
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 02:54:27 PM »
Coffee girl- I agree it's totally none of their business. Also, I don't know many people applying to so few schools- I mean 5 others! Come on!

I'm just not sure how this works-I'm still worried that will delay my application for leaving it blank. Though I guess you can list only 5 if you wanted.

Fordham is my reach, and even if they didn't see it with the other schools I'm applying to, they'd realize when they saw my LSAT/GPA split. (163/3.79)