Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Prof Replies Back...  (Read 1739 times)

r2d2

Prof Replies Back...
« on: August 20, 2004, 05:00:05 PM »
I emailed a prof asking if he would write me a rec. He wrote back, see the message below. It's been a few years since I've been in school and the majority of the courses I took were huge lecture classes. His email is truthful and I can't really argue with it. Should I just move on to someone else? Not that anyone else will remember me but I just get the feeling this one won't do much good. What do you guys think?  :-\

"I will write a letter for you, but you must understand
the realities of the situation. Let's suppose that when you
come to my office hours, I don't remember you (a highly likely outcome, as you say in your email to me). In that case, about all that I can write in my recommendation letter is "X took an
upper division Government course from me and earned an
'A.'" I can embellish it slightly if you have saved your
tests and papers from the class, but only slightly.

Given that situation, my letter would not do you
much good in your law school applications, unless you
scored astronomically high on the LSAT, and all that
the readers of the application need from me is a
confirmation that you are indeed a real, live human
being who went to the University of X.

So, to repeat, I am willing to write a letter, but
we must both understand the context in which it will
be written."

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Prof Replies Back...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 05:03:29 PM »
If you have saved your papers and tests, then this might not be such a bad option, since you say that you'll probably face a similar situation with other professors.

Good luck!
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

lexylit

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 05:03:53 PM »
can you find anyone who will truly remember you, even if it wasn't an upper-level course and you didn't get an A?

gooooooo

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.67, OCT. 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 05:23:48 PM »
What a hilarious letter.  I love this prof.

foxnewssucks

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 05:24:31 PM »
yeah, this prof is a straight up pimp.

Bman

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 05:27:09 PM »
I think that you should try to find someone else if you can. But if you can't then take this recommendation. Tell your professor that you appreciate his candor but that you badly need a recommendation just to be considered and that you would appreciate it if he could do the best he can. The bottom line is that recommendations are required but probably mean very little compared to LSAT/GPA and even your personal statement and work experience. If the only academic recommendation you can get is a nonexceptional, pro forma one, than this might be a slight strike against you, but it is one that you can overcome, and it is better than not having an academic rec at all. As he said though, if you have old tests or an old paper, than your situation improves considerably.

Bman

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 05:31:40 PM »
Look, I think law schools have to understand people in your situation. Especially since they've been recently encouraging people to take a few years off and work, rather than applying directly out of undergrad, it does not make logical sense for them to penalize someone too severely who finds themself in the entirely predictable situation of not having a professor that remembers them in great detail.

!@#$%

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2004, 11:17:03 AM »
Move on.  You're better off with a glowing professional recommendation than a crappy academic one.

The Name's Dali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2004, 11:19:00 PM »
Yeah, this prof is trying to hint to look elsewhere.  It's very good that he does that though, instead of getting a mundane letter from him and not knowing.

M2

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2004, 01:10:06 AM »
This Prof doesn't wanna write you the letter...

he is basically being an ice guy and saying if you dont have ANYONE else to write it, then he will do it for you.

Try to find someone better...