Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: wanna open it!  (Read 7128 times)

dta

Re: wanna open it!
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2004, 11:55:03 AM »
Shurb,

Couple of assumptions about academia you've made that just aren't correct and this is one of them.  having a Ph.D. and having published articles in respected journals DOES NOT MEAN SOMEONE CAN WRITE!  As long as the data is good, it will get published no matter how poor and ineffective the writing.

Common sense usually doesn't fly when it comes to academia unfortunately (which is why our extensive work experience counts for a lot less than we'd like it to, I'd bet...)

So how do you figure out if the prof can write worth a crap?

Nonsense - your professor got a Ph.D. He knows how to write. And if the professor is worth a darn he has continued to be published in respectable journals. He knows how to write effectively.

Agreed. All the methods you suggested for determining the writing skill of the professor are entirely appropriate. None of the methods you suggested required actually reading the LOR.

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2004, 03:53:24 AM »
What about if you note in your package to the recommender that you would like to have a copy only if the recommnder wishes to do so, and also tell him/her that "they are in no way obligated to do so."  That's how I worded it.  The quoted part, I mean.
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

dta

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2004, 09:26:23 AM »
What about if you note in your package to the recommender that you would like to have a copy only if the recommnder wishes to do so, and also tell him/her that "they are in no way obligated to do so."  That's how I worded it.  The quoted part, I mean.

I think that's a good compromise. If you do it in a written note accompanying all the other materials it is customary to give your recommender and you make it very clear that you do not expect to receive a copy but would gladly accept one if offered, then I do think this escapes rudeness.

The written note is important. You are thereby being courteous by allowing the proff to ignore the written note, instead of having to ignore you in his office asking in person.

I still wouldn't go that way, but I do think that's a point over which reasonable people can disagree.

So, did you receive a copy?

seankenn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2004, 11:21:22 AM »
Have the recommender send you the actual LOR.  I was unaware of any rules about taking a peek at recommendations, so I had my recommendation sent to me.  Then I forwarded it on to the LSAC.  Even with my own return address on the letter, it was processed fine.  I don't think LSAC worries too much about this kind of thing.  But maybe I was just lucky.  I think we are also entitled to read the letters anyways.  But that is just my opinion.

londongirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2004, 12:20:05 PM »
It is absolutely fine to have the recs sent to you and for you to fd them to LSAC/ the schools concerned. I just don't see why everyone's making a fuss about this issue. If the envelope is signed, sealed will sellotape over, LSAC/ the law school are hardly going to query it.

seankenn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2004, 12:31:18 PM »
My recommendation enevelope wasn't even signed and it was processed.  I agree, people fuss over this too much. 

dta

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2004, 02:20:06 PM »
It is absolutely fine to have the recs sent to you and for you to fd them to LSAC/ the schools concerned. I just don't see why everyone's making a fuss about this issue. If the envelope is signed, sealed will sellotape over, LSAC/ the law school are hardly going to query it.

The reason there is a fuss is because there is absolutely no legitimate reason to request that the recommender send YOU the LOR and have you forward it on to the LSAC. And there are many legitimate reasons to provide a pre-addressed envelope to the recommender so that the recommender can mail directly to LSAC.

As stated above, if you request the recommender in writing to send you a copy if he/she is so inclined, then that is one matter. But having the LOR pass through your hands first before going to the LSAC is another. I would, and I know several proffs who would, refuse to send an LOR directly to the recomendee for subsequent forwarding to the LSAC.

londongirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2004, 02:22:19 PM »
What if you're not doing things through lsac?

dta

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2004, 02:31:12 PM »
What if you're not doing things through lsac?

Then provide the proff with an envelope addressed directly to the law school. That's standard operating procedure when students apply to graduate school and need LOR's.

londongirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2004, 02:46:01 PM »
I've given an envelope addressed to the law school, sent inside one addressed to me. So I have, still sitting on my desk, an envelope addressed to Boalt. I think it's silly to send things off seperately to law schools: they'll just end up getting lost, misfiled, whatever. Particularly if you're getting the reference before they start accepting applications, like me, and if you haven't already got a file at the law school.