Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: wanna open it!  (Read 7459 times)

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: wanna open it!
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2004, 06:17:19 AM »
During a local law school (low t1/high t2) open house, the vp of admissions came out and stated that they didn't place much stock in LOR.  She thought if you couldn't find 3 people to say something nice about you you were probably a loser anyway.  She recommended giving them a copy of your PS and telling them what you want the LOR to say and working with them on that.  There was nothing about not being able to read it - the people I asked sent me an email version first asking how's this look before they mailed it.  I went back through my law school app and couldn't find anything about not reading the LOR - is this a school specific requirement or did I miss something on LSAC?

dta

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2004, 05:34:46 PM »
Ok, so my letter of recommendation has just arrived in the post, signed and sealed. And I so want to read it! But I can't. And it's sitting on my desk, asking to be opened. But I won't. I hold it to the light hoping to see something, btu nowt. Arghhhhhh, it's so frustrating, and I will NEVER know what it said.....

Why are you receiving the LOR in the first place? The proff should send it directly to LSAC. Did you not provide your proff with a pre-stamped, pre-addressed envelope to mail his LOR to LSAC? That seems like standard common courtesy.

dta

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2004, 05:36:09 PM »
So I was thinking about this...  If I ask my recommenders to mail me the letter, how would the law schools know that this happened and that the letter wasn't sent directly to them if I open the letter and put it in a new envelope?  I thought I read somewhere that they only have to sign across the seal if they're sending it to you.  I'm not worried about what my recommenders will say, just curious.  :)  In the end, I think I'll be too scared of being caught to actually open the letters.  And to help myself resist temptation, I'm going to have them send the letters directly to LSAC/the law schools.

I think it's completely lame you would consider betraying the kindness of your recommenders who took time out of their busy lives to write you a confidential LOR. Totally lame.

dta

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2004, 05:38:15 PM »
Why did you guys waive your right to read the recs?

Because an LOR is meaningless otherwise.

If you're standing by and listening to two people converse about you, do you think your presence would have an influence on the conversation, even if both parties had only good things to say about you? Of course it would. You must remove yourself from the conversation in order to ensure a frank, honest conversation between the two parties. It's common sense and common decency.

dta

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2004, 05:39:17 PM »
Right. I've heard people outside the admissions process say that, but I had the deans of admissions for three different schools tell me that's silly. One of 'em said, "Hey, you're gonna be a lawyer, right? Why would you start that journey by waiving your rights to something?"

I call BS on your statement. Name the Deans.

dta

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2004, 05:41:10 PM »
But don't you think that the admissions office knows that people will read them anyway, or that the letter writer will share it... even if they waive that right? I think that they'd have to be wearing some seriously rosey colored glasses to think that a waiver ensures the candor of a letter of rec. 

No they don't think we will read them anyway. I don't know what corrupt universe you come from, but for myself and everyone I personally know who's applying to law school, the proff sent his/her LOR directly to LSAC and the requestor never saw the LOR. That is the common expectation.

dta

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2004, 05:42:52 PM »
disagree strongly  >:( must waive right to read.

Of course! I can't even believe this is even being debated. It's good to see at least one other person on this board understands the rules of common decency when making an LOR request.

dta

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2004, 05:44:51 PM »
I'm not saying that people aren't capable of writing a forthright letter... I'm just saying that a waiver won't guarantee it. I'm sure your Scotswoman's integrity cup overflows.

It does not take a miraculous, supernatural act of honesty to have your proff send in his/her LOR without you getting your paws on it first. This takes merely the most pedestrian sense of decency. I am amazed that you never learned it.

londongirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2004, 06:05:27 PM »
Thanks for the morality lesson on common courtesy, Shrub!  ;)

No offense, but I find your tone a bit rude. I have the reference by no act of fraud! I have it because international applicants can't get theirs processed through LSAC, or have the references sent there. Or to the law schools, this early, detached from the file and all the way to the States from the UK. So I'm doing what's called a 'self completing' application, I think. And I gave a stamped addressed envelope to myself. This is perfectly legitimate, even for people in the States, I believe.

And no, of course I wouldn't open the reference. And yes, I did waive my right to read it. Nothing is being debated there. But surely it's natural to *want* to read it if it's sitting there on your desk. Or even if it isn't. Of course I couldn't even see print through the light. The desire to read it doesn't mean I'd act upon it.

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2004, 07:39:35 PM »
I don't know about the Deans rec, all I can tell you is my reason why I want to see a LOR written about me.  I have no doubt that my recommenders will make an outstending effort to write the very best letter they can.  What I don't know is how good they are at writing LORS.  Since LOR's play a much larger role in deciding which law school is for me, rather than traditional students, I damn sure want to see what they wrote before I invest a huge amount of time and money in the application process.  I have requested that all 3 send me a copy back to my address, I don't know if they will, neither do the ascomms, (they can only assume, but they really don't know, and if you want say that it is an unwritten rule that adcomms won't take them at face value if they know you read them, then that is an issue you must deal with, I am not concerned one bit). 
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..