Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do I have a chance at Touro, or anywhere local??  (Read 1105 times)

nocomply

• View Profile
Do I have a chance at Touro, or anywhere local??
« on: September 01, 2006, 02:33:20 PM »
To all,

I am currently an English major attending St. John's University with a GPA of around 3.4 and a LSAT average of 146 (144 and 147). Do you guys believe that I have any chance at Touro law school out on Long Island, New York? Or any other school for that matter (in the New York area or north east coast)? And no, I am not taking the LSAT again because I already took it three times (first time I canceled my score).

Besides my number grades, I have plenty of work experience in the legal field through my father and sister, who are both negligence and personal injury attorneys. I also am currently a writing tutor for my school, helping graduates and undergraduates with their writing skills. Not to be cocky, but my personal statement is excellent and worthy (according to a number of my English professors and such). It is short, to the point, and bold. It definatly makes me, the low man on the LSAT totem pole, stand out (I think).

I have done my research; I know that the New York schools are in short the most competitive in the nation. I know my chances do not look too promising, and I'm not stressing; that's life. My question to you all (who actually have some insight into the admissions process--please, if you don't, refrain from talking out of your ass) is do you think, despite my poor LSAT scores, that I have a chance into getting into law school around here? Any shot at all? Or is it a automatic "reject" when they take a glimpse at my LSAT score?

Thanks for reading this, respond back when the times good. Thanks again all.

Nocomply.

RUMike

• Sr. Citizen
  • I switched it up with a self tar.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mike101985
    • View Profile
Re: Do I have a chance at Touro, or anywhere local??
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 03:32:14 PM »
I know that full time, Touro has an average LSAT of 150. I'm not sure about part-time. But if you stand out, you might make it into full time anyhow, or you can transfer from part time to full.

If you have family connections, as long as you get a JD, you should be in good shape. Touro is on the rise, they are moving to be closer to the courthouse in Islip with a new building. They'll be rising in the rankings.

As far as any place else in the area, I don't know of any schools that have an average in that range besides Touro.

theprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 03:41:49 PM »
Have you looked at lawschoolnumbers.com? I just looked at Touro's apps for last admissions cycle, and they accepted a number of people with numbers similar to yours. They also rejected a good number, so by no means would you be a lock, but you certainly have a good shot at getting in. I've only heard bad things about Touro from friends in NYC, but I have no first hand experience. Look into your career prospects coming out of Touro, though - my understanding is that you'll have to do extremely well there in order to find a job as an attorney. With the possibility of getting into the worst school in the NYC area as your best scenario, you might want to reconsider going to law school in NYC. If you are really committed to becoming a lawyer, consider a less competitive market.

Lurking Third Year

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 11:46:24 AM »
As RUMike wrote, you have a chance at Touro.  One of my friends got into Touro with similar, though slightly better numbers.  Keep in mind that now Touro will probably take your highest score instead of using the average. 

You wrote that you have attorneys in your family, and if they're willing to employ you after graduation, then you don't have to worry about Touro's job placement.  But if they're not going to give you a job, or if you don't want to do that kind of work, you should know that Touro's grads do not do particularly well in the NY market, and even if you get a job, you will probably be stuck on Long Island.  Of course there are exceptions, but keep in mind that Touro is the worst school in the NY area.

RUMike

• Sr. Citizen
  • I switched it up with a self tar.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mike101985
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 12:36:49 PM »
Glancing at lsac.com, you might also have a chance at CUNY-Queens. They mostly focus on public interest law. I'm not sure if you're into that, but then again if you have a job waiting for you it isn't much of a concern.

nocomply

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 06:54:31 PM »
Thanks ALL for the valuable feedback, I really appreciate it. I'm going to try my luck and just apply to Touro and Queens--I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks again.

nocomply

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 06:58:09 PM »
Oh yeah, one more question (really for "Lurking" or anyone who knows), what do you mean that Touro will now accept the higher score and not the average? Is this a new thing for Touro, or any other law school in general? The LSAT average thing is out?

Lurking Third Year

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 07:29:02 PM »
Oh yeah, one more question (really for "Lurking" or anyone who knows), what do you mean that Touro will now accept the higher score and not the average? Is this a new thing for Touro, or any other law school in general? The LSAT average thing is out?

The ABA recently changed its policy, and now only requires that schools report the highest LSAT, as opposed to the average.  This doesn't mean that schools have to change their admissions' policies, but the general consensus seems to be that schools will start taking the highest score instead of the average. 

There is a brief discussion on this issue here:

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2006/06/aba_to_require_.html

dollarbill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 06:41:37 AM »
Unless your father is going to give you a job, don't bother.  Touro is a truly horrible school and would be a tremendous waste of money. 

unkept

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2006, 10:44:08 PM »
Unless your father is going to give you a job, don't bother.  Touro is a truly horrible school and would be a tremendous waste of money. 

what are you basing your opinion on?  If you're going to make such a blanket statement, back it up.  I personally know 7 attorney's who graduated from Touro who are doing great.  No, it's not a Tier 1 school, but Touro will be moving up in the rankings in the near future.  The administration is excellent, the professor's are superb and the new campus- well, not only is it beautiful but it's right next door to a Federal Courthouse, a State Courthouse and a District Courthouse.  The 'hands on' education Touro students will receive in the new building will be paramount in raising Touro's reputation.  Their bar passage rates have sky rocketed and are now equivalent, if not higher, than Hofstra's. 
I'm currently attending Touro and thus far, I think it's great.

OP- I think you have a decent chance of getting accepted to Touro.  I got in with a 3.9 gpa and a 147 lsat (I only took the lsat once with only 3 weeks preparation), had a very strong PS, and excellent recommendations. I only applied to the part-time program because I work and have a family- but I think I would have gotten into the FT program as well.

I say - go for it!  Get your application in early.

Good luck!!