Law School Discussion

not talking about accomplishments in PS

not talking about accomplishments in PS
« on: September 01, 2006, 12:11:40 PM »
mid-way in drafting my PS i realized that i'm not talking about specific 'accomplishments' or any defining occurrence in my life as do so many essays i have read. i find no viable way to squeeze such things in either without making the ideas sound really disconnected. it's not a philosophical or argumentative essay, just an observation that i use to relate to why i want to study law. (it sounds really bad, doesn't it?) so, if i have to choose between the adcom reading my essay and saying to himself "this girl is contemplative, maybe even insightful" and "this girl did some really cool things" -- which should i go for?

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
Re: not talking about accomplishments in PS
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 12:16:21 PM »
I would think there is plenty of room for listing accomplishments on a resume.  Why focus on them in your PS?  You might want to take one accomplishment and expand about what you learned from it, but that is hardly necessary for a personal statement.  I wouldn't worry about it. 

Re: not talking about accomplishments in PS
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 12:27:05 PM »
thanks for your input. maybe it's the fact that i've not read any essays that didn't somehow manage to squeeze in a line that goes "so i did this and that and that and this". if anyone can point me to one, i'd be much indebted!