Law School Discussion

Testmasters Lesson 10 HW

. . .

• View Profile
Testmasters Lesson 10 HW
« on: September 01, 2006, 12:09:22 PM »
Anyone have any tips on attacking the 5F questions in LR??? These questions are my pitfall and I've tried diagramming, etc. I fully understand when we go over them in class but when I get to the HW I do so poorly on these! ANy advice is appreciated!

dubsy

• View Profile
Re: Testmasters Lesson 10 HW
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 12:54:50 PM »
For 5F questions, keep in mind that they're really just like 4F questions except you have to not only be able identify, but apply the flawed reasoning you see in the stimulus.  Here's what I try to do:

1) put the logical reasoning into abstract terms (i.e. the author assumes what he sets out to prove)
2) keeping that in mind, see if any of the answers fit that same abstract description you just made
3) OR, use the good/bad test that testmasters taught you - although i admittedly find that to be of limited help.

if that doesn't work, you should resort to diagramming - although I know, like you said, that can be tough to do.  But if they're really your pitfall, it's not that big of a deal because they only make up a small portion of the LR - so it might be wise for you to skip a 5F question (particularly one you have to diagram) and then come back to it when you're done with the section. 

also, i sometimes find that 5Fs can be answered correctly through process of elimination. if you just skim through the answers, sometimes the answers are structured so dissimilarly to the stimulus (in terms of reasoning, not necessarily phrasing) that you know what DEFINITELY can't be the right answer... and hopefully this will leave you with 1 or 2 answers left, which then you can diagram.

hope this helps!

Einstein

• View Profile
Re: Testmasters Lesson 10 HW
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 01:01:34 PM »
more than likely the stimulus will have an incorrect reversal or incorrect negation...just find the flaw and then find it again in the answer chioces...