Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: At what lsat score should I bother applying to HYS?  (Read 1303 times)

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
At what lsat score should I bother applying to HYS?
« on: September 01, 2006, 12:11:31 AM »
My other stats:

White Male, No interesting cultural or other factors
I do speak spanish and headed a few clubs in college, nothing remarkable
GPA 3.67 (school and lsdas) mid 1st tier LAC, philosophy major, 3yr graduation
I can get stellar recs to yale due to some faculty connections, others schools I can get decent recs
1yr working in insurance

Right now my mean LSAT practice scores have been about 171. My low is 165. My high is 175.

At what point is HYS even remotely realistic for me? 170? 173? 176?
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: At what lsat score should I bother applying to HYS?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 12:14:13 AM »
My other stats:

White Male, No interesting cultural or other factors
I do speak spanish and headed a few clubs in college, nothing remarkable
GPA 3.67 (school and lsdas) mid 1st tier LAC, philosophy major, 3yr graduation
I can get stellar recs to yale due to some faculty connections, others schools I can get decent recs
1yr working in insurance

Right now my mean LSAT practice scores have been about 171. My low is 165. My high is 175.

At what point is HYS even remotely realistic for me? 170? 173? 176?

Stanford and Yale are GPA whores, so they were be a stretch regardless.. with a 174+ you may be able to crack H.. maybe.
Penn Law '09

chris43

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 02:04:02 AM »
check out lsn.  last cycle harvard took a decent number of people with your gpa and an lsat over 175.  http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/search_schools.php?action=search&school_code=0008&lsat1=170&lsat2=180&fee_waiver=0&status=0&gpa_lsdas1=3.65&gpa_lsdas2=3.7&attending=0&cycle=3&gpa_degree1=&gpa_degree2=&withdrawn=0&program=1&index1=&index2=&state=0&application_type=0&scholarship1=&scholarship2=&sex=0&multiple_lsat=0&urm=0&x=50&y=11&international=0

yale and stanford, unfortunately, take virtually no one with your gpa (which is virtually identical to mine) regardless of how high an lsat.

so definately apply to harvard; apply to y and s only if you really want to go there and understand that you have no real shot.

bboyspekz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, that is me in Union Sq, NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 03:21:14 PM »
Easy there Chris...no real shot...are you serious?

Just check out LSN man, there are people making Yale with 3.2 and 171

I think you have a shot as long as you get above 170.
Just make yourself stand out!! In 170 land marketing yourself properly is crucial!!

So Yeah....

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 05:55:13 PM »
1. assuming you have the money to spare, if you crack a 170 you should give it a shot.  not so much because you have a realistic chance of getting in, but for peace of mind.  i think a 175+ will give you a fair shot at harvard.

2. i want to go skiing.

chris43

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 08:54:58 PM »
Easy there Chris...no real shot...are you serious?

Just check out LSN man, there are people making Yale with 3.2 and 171

I think you have a shot as long as you get above 170.
Just make yourself stand out!! In 170 land marketing yourself properly is crucial!!

yeah, i am serious. my gpa is around 3.7 and i'm pretty much out of contention at y regardless of how well i do on the lsat.  do they let a small handful of people with sub 3.75 gpas in every year?  yeah.  do i think i'm gonna be one of those people? i have my fingers crossed but almost definately not.

and you're talking not about a 3.7 but a 3.2.  i looked at lsn for the numbers you identified, and there's one person from last cycle with a 3.23/171.  it certainly has the looks of a flame http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=trstn007.  there was another person last cycle with a 3.5 http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=bettyloowho.  her profile seemed a bit more legitimate, but not a 3.5 is still a far cry from a 3.2.  in 04-05 there were no yale acceptances on lsn with a gpa between 3.0 and 3.5 and an lsat between 170 and 180.  in 03-04 someone claimed to get with a 3.3/180 but it looks like a flame too http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Dingamajiga

stanford seems to be at least as obsessed with high gpas as yale (although they also seem to tolerate slightly lower lsat scores).  harvard, at least in past cycles has been willing to take people around 3.7 with very high lsats, but it drops off significantly once you get below 3.65 or so.  and below 3.6, you have basically no chance at h unless you are urm.  only three people on lsn got in to harvard last year with a gpa below 3.6: one was the the same person who claimed to get into y with a 3.23 and the other two were urms with high lsats and gpas around 3.5.

chris43

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 03:59:37 PM »
you do realize that LSN is as self-selecting as LSD?

of course its suggestive of who can get into a certain school, but it doesn't mean that only one person with certain numbers got in or didn't.  if you have the money, just apply and don't worry about it until you get an answer.  its better than wondering what would have happened if you had applied.  don't let people tell you that you won't get in.  remember that a lot of people who apply to law school are nothing but numbers and have done nothing outside of their coursework.  that being said, if you have done anything interesting and are competing with others that have the same numbers, who do you think they would select? 

no one has claimed that lsn is anything more than "suggestive."

iSalute

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freedom don't come free
    • View Profile
    • Check us out...
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 06:03:34 PM »
For HYS, a 180 will give you a chance.
The University of San Diego c/o 2011.

http://themeaningofmadness.blogspot.com/