Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Blah Blah Blah  (Read 1912 times)

Zam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Blah Blah Blah
« on: August 31, 2006, 02:04:35 PM »
Blah

please discuss.

Chandler Bing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why I'm crossing Notre Dame of my list--Am I wrong?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 08:13:38 PM »
No, I think that's a perfectly valid reason not to apply. You will have to spend 3 years in the environment, and if you believe the attitudes of the majority of the students and/or faculty will make you uncomfortable, or that you'll feel like an outsider, there's no reason to make an already stressful time more stressful. I'm not applying for similar reasons.

However, if you had your heart set on ND before learning about the strong religious bent, I would probably visit and get a feel for the atmosphere.
Monica (attending): Northwestern!
Rachel/Phoebe (still in the running): Northwestern $$, Chicago $
Janice(withdrawn): SLU, Loyola Chicago, Chicago-Kent, Depaul, UIUC, Duke, WUSTL

Cycle's over!

awesome1

• Sr. Citizen
  • real ninjas go to law school
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 10:57:35 AM »
I think you're wrong in a way.  I've heard that although it is at the core of their overall mission, the law school is much less religious and those who are really hardcore kind of do their own thing and leave the secular people alone, despite the fact that they subscribe to the school's Catholic mission.

paigeroo

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 11:31:58 AM »
I really like a lot of things about ND. I've heard really good things about the alumni base, and I really like the way they talk about themselves. My problem is that though I am not an atheist, I don't subscribe to organized religion in any way. I know ND does not expect everyone to be Catholic but it seems to me from reading their literature that being religious in some way is important enough to the community that I would end up being uncomfortable. Am I wrong to not apply based on this?

Zamora,
Notre Dame is a religious institution, but it's also a damn good one.  Across the academic board Notre Dame excels in almost every possible field.  Its entire campus is in the top 20 for all Universities in the entire United States (And there's a lot!)  Not to mention the law school also qualifies for this kind of ranking as well.  While Notre Dame makes religious gatherings available to those who want to attend, they in no way shove it down your throat or make them mandatory.  I believe their undergraduates however are required to take some sort of religion class, but nowhere does that exist in their graduate programs. 

A second point to consider is that while they have a religious base, they value wide-ranging religious diversity because they know they have this "Catholic only" image to overcome.  I've heard of more than a handful of Mormon, Jewish, Atheist and Agnostics getting in and attending.  So if you're not ultra religious, you won't be alone. 

wannaB1L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mike Nifong '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 01:34:16 AM »
I understand. I myself am sick of secular, godless schools and hope to go to a school like Pepperdine, USC or even Chapman. I want to be around my own kind- no one can blame you. Don't go to ND.
a pirate's life for me.

SAVE THE WTO NOW!

Chandler Bing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 02:09:12 AM »
I understand. I myself am sick of secular, godless schools and hope to go to a school like Pepperdine, USC or even Chapman. I want to be around my own kind- no one can blame you. Don't go to ND.

Just as a warning, USC is not religiously affiliated...it's very secular and not as conservative as its reputation might have you believe.
Monica (attending): Northwestern!
Rachel/Phoebe (still in the running): Northwestern $$, Chicago $
Janice(withdrawn): SLU, Loyola Chicago, Chicago-Kent, Depaul, UIUC, Duke, WUSTL

Cycle's over!

wannaB1L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mike Nifong '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 02:17:28 AM »

Just as a warning, USC is not religiously affiliated...it's very secular and not as conservative as its reputation might have you believe.

They have chapels on campus, one right next to the law building with little Christian Crosses carved into the alter, and all the prayers were to Christ and GOD. Everyone I have ever met from there has been a non-liberal (center or right...mostly right- but I have met so few that this cannot be counted upon).  It is relative to other schools that are down right anti- religeous. I know as I attended those left-wing California coo-coos nests.
a pirate's life for me.

SAVE THE WTO NOW!

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 10:03:24 AM »
I can understand a person's concern about coming in without subscribing to an organized religion. While the professors and administration espouse a welcoming an open environment for people of all beliefs and backgrounds, some students take it to mean something else and it can lead to some discussions in class that will make people who don't subscribe to organized religion a bit uncomfortable because some students are very condemning of those who don't share their beliefs.

I don't get the impression that the OP's desire is to segregate from people different, but to avoid being ostracized because people have totally opposite views. However, there are plenty of people at the school who do not subscribe to an organized relgion and you aren't going to be alone if you don't subscribe to a certain view. Keep in mind that people who consider themselves Catholic do not all share every with the Pope. Many are quite liberal, while others are very moderate.

eyeoftheligrr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 01:17:33 PM »
I'm agnostic and went to a Catholic undergrad.  I was in the minority when it came to religious beliefs, but it isn't the worst thing to be a voice of opposition.  In fact, I think it made my college experience more rewarding.  There are some extremists that might ostracize you but the vast majority of Catholics at my school were at least open minded.  Except for people at either end of the spectrum, I think everyone finds a way to get along.  I can't speak for Notre Dame, but I assume the situation would be similar.

That said, if you really don't want to be the minority then why not look elsewhere?