Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Texas Southern School of Law  (Read 3379 times)

camelbx

• 164/2.95
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Texas Southern School of Law
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2004, 12:13:40 AM »
You're right, basically. But try going into a reputable company and applying for an accounting, or management job or someother above-minimum-wage-job with a degree from Devry or U. of Phoenix.

TSU is definately the Devry of law schools.

Not Given

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2004, 12:37:08 AM »
Actually there are some ppl with Degrees from Devry working in reputable companies as managers and accountant. Think about colleges and companies who employ graduates for management positions. The larger cities do employ Devry grads for management positions...

Im not sure that TSU would be the Devry. You point out that someone from Devry wouldnt be able to go to a reputable company and apply for an accounting or management job - earning a law degree and applying for a job as an attorney is totally different because the degree is going to be the same.

It sounds like the paper that the degree printed on is what really matters - more so than how well you do and your dedication to the field....

dnw2007

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2004, 03:08:52 PM »
I agree with Miracle.

camelbx

• 164/2.95
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2004, 10:05:42 PM »
Ok, I can clarify what "reputable" means, what I should have said was relatively prestigious -- you may get a job but not the same ones UT grads will. I realize that Devry grads get jobs but they dont become CEOs. Sorry bout the sloppy language first time through.

Not Given

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2004, 11:56:49 PM »
Perhaps becoming a CEO is not the only "good job" out there. There are many positions that offer a rewarding career w/out the fancy title. There are tons of ppl who have earned a JD from lower tiered schools who have satisfying positions w/in the legal field.

There are some ppl who actually care about more than just a fancy title. There are ppl who have decent jobs that have gone to Texas Southern and there are some ppl who may not have decent jobs that have gone to UT. Again I really think its about two things: how much you put into your learning at whatever school you attend, and how much you network.

I have noticed from quick research that there are several judges on the bench that graduated from TSU.  ::)

dta

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2004, 12:05:54 AM »
While what you say may be true Miracle, the point is this - if you were offered admission into both UT and TSU which school would you select? I think your arguments for equalizing the two would melt away fairly rapidly because you know that, while not guaranteeing success, graduation from UT increases your odds of success (however you may define it - money, fancy pro-bono work ala ACLU, etc.) much more so than TSU.

Not Given

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2004, 12:28:02 AM »
Actually my point was regarding TSU only. I am not really interested in knowing about UT at this point. I am interested in knowing the advantages (if any) of attending TSU. It is an accredited law school and I am not trying to compare it with UT. However I still say...same degree...just printed on different paper. If the TSU student's grades are good...who knows where a TSU graduate may find a good position.  ;)

This last comment is for you and anyone else who cares to reply to my posts. I have always enjoyed construtive criticism and I dont get offended easily. So when I post my comments to your responses, I am merely voicing my opinion. Never any anger to my tone.... :D  I always like to look at both sides to every story...there has got to be more to TSU than what ppl are saying.