Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Texas Southern School of Law  (Read 3407 times)

gamer

• View Profile
    • Email
Texas Southern School of Law
« on: February 09, 2004, 10:19:35 PM »
Hey there:

I am just curious about whay y'all think about me going to Texas Southern School of law. A little about me ... I have worked in a law firm as a full time legal assistant and bookkeeper for the past two years; as far as "real world" practical experience, I have a lot. However, I didn't score very high on the LSAT, but applied anyway. I was accepted into Texas Southern with a little scholarship money, but have had little luck elsewhere. I would like to practice law in Houston and see that the cost of attending Texas Southern is fairly low. Based on the foregoing, do y'all think it is a decent investment? Do you think my work experience will help that much? Or am I just wasting my money and time and should re-take the LSAT? All of your HONEST opinions regarding the same are appreciated and I  thank you in advance.  :)

gamer

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Texas Southern School of Law
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 10:34:18 PM »
Pretty Please???

fungoking

• Play me some Buck Owens!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 11:58:56 PM »
Hey:

I know very little about Texas Southern, other than it has a very high first year attrittion rate. I think that's because of it gives lots of folks a chance who normally wouldn't be admitted to a law school.

Still, itz ABA-accredited.  If you are really motivated to be a lawyer, and you can't get a gig elsewhere, it just means you have to work hard to stay past a year, and it means you can't rely on pedigree to get a good job.

Like I say, Texas Southern might not be pretty, but its an accredited opportunity.  Work hard first year.  You can do it.  Hit the ground with trying to find internships--especially within the federal and state govt's.

Good luck in law school

valerie098

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 09:13:52 AM »
I am in the same situation as you are--same work experience and not a good Lsat. I also applied to TS among other schools with about the same reputation. I think you should go for it, especially if they are giving you money. If you don't like it, you can always transfer after your first year. I did some research on www.martindale.com and figured out where most of the attorneys in my area went to school. It was more reassuring to see that the top attorneys in my area are not necessary from the top tier schools. If you don't mind, what are your numbers?

gamer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 10:51:03 AM »
Valerie, et.al,

Thanks for your advice and thoughts, I really appreciate the imput. My numbers were 150 LSAT, GPA 3.12.

fungoking

• Play me some Buck Owens!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 11:20:48 AM »
What about St. Mary's and STCL?

lawstudent2004

• Sr. Citizen
  • 160 LSAT and 3.48 GPA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2004, 07:50:35 AM »
I think you should be able to get into STCL and St. Marys.  But, if you graduate in the top %5 at Texas Southern that should improve your resume.

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 04:29:48 PM »
Personally, I would go to a better law school than Texas Southern if I was admitted somewhere else. The school had a 40% attrition rate in 2002, and 36% of the class was still looking for employment 6 months after graduation. The bar passage rate was 43%.  This means that almost half of those that start law school there do not finish, and of those that do finish, only 43% pass the bar (excluding re-try percentages which are drastically lower than first time test-takers). Which means if you are the average applicant, you will graduate, but you'll fail bar (which I think you can only take every 6 months). TSU is the worst law school in Texas, if you can it seems like going somewhere else would be a better investment than saving a little bit of money in the short term.

gamer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2004, 12:37:10 PM »
Hello everyone,

I just took a visit to the Texas Southern School of Law and here is what I can tell anyone who is contemplating on attending there:
     1) Currently, the law school is under renovation, but the facilities were fairly nice.
     2) The attrition rate is between 25 and 28 percent.
     3) The cost of attending is not too bad, the housing is. If you want a 2BA/BR nearby, you are looking at over $1000.00 a month. Moreover, the traffic in Houston is TERRIBLE!!!
     4) If you are in the top 15% of your respective class, you have a really decent shot of landing a nice job.
     5) Of the major firms, they take only about two to four Texas Southern grads ... affectionately known as "biglaw jobs"
     6) If you like living in a big city, did not score that high on your LSAT or have a high GPA and want in vain to practice law; i would say "go for it."
     7) I believe it helps if you have prior legal work experience because you will be more familiar with "legalese" and thus have an advantage over your classmates without the same. In any fourth tier school, you MUST do well your first year (as in any law school) or your chances of employments (other than self) greatly diminish (this assumes you dont have connections) your marketability.
     8) Some ppl here have said that you should go to the "best" law school possible. From my perspective, if you are choosing amongst third and fourth tier schools (like me), you need to find the one where you will do the best and graduate high in your class. Ie, there is little difference between four tier schools because their reputation is almost always local; maybe regional.

All premises considered, it seems to be that I will have to wait until I hear from some other schools to which I have applied: South Texas School of Law and Texas Wesleyan.

I hope this helps anyone in a similar position. I read a lot of message boards and people under my circumstances generally are not given a lot of constructive, honest advice. Good luck!

Not Given

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2004, 11:11:37 PM »
Would love to hear from others as well regarding Texas Southern University. If one does not wish to practice corporate law, does it really matter if they go to Texas Southern? Wont the Juris Doctorate still be valid? Isnt the information printed in those books the same regardless of which law school you attend? I have noticed that quite a few law schools use the exact same books for certain classes...
I honestly think that it is not all about where you attend law school, its more about how well you do once you are there...

Would love to hear feedback from others regarding this school.