Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: List your 2 most coveted schools  (Read 20717 times)

Resident CLS Troll

Re: List your 2 most coveted schools
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 02:08:35 AM »
may you get into columbia, get a hamilton, then take the money so that i can rub it in your face.

It's even better to get the Hamilton and choose to go to a decent school instead.  That really pisses him off.

you're assuming he would get into yale?

Turning down Yale can also be quite fulfilling, point taken.

that's what southside says.

Resident CLS Troll

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2006, 02:13:58 AM »
may you get into columbia, get a hamilton, then take the money so that i can rub it in your face.

It's even better to get the Hamilton and choose to go to a decent school instead.  That really pisses him off.

you're assuming he would get into yale?

Turning down Yale can also be quite fulfilling, point taken.

that's what southside says.

He got the Peter J Sharp, not the Hamilton.  Honestly, I don't think it would have changed my mind, but it might have.  Then again, it is interest-specific and if that's your interest than there really is no question that Columbia is the right place for you.

well yes, i know he got the sharp.  i was talking about turning down yale in general.

Resident CLS Troll

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2006, 10:37:50 AM »
i knew you would.  which is why i called andrew "halfie II".

Richard B. Riddick

• Going for the sweet spot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2006, 05:54:15 PM »
Stanford

NYU/Chicago tie (cheap, i know)

Pretty vanilla "dream schools", and even though I still have a little while before I take the LSAT and start applying, I'm aiming high.
Me?  I'm just passing through...

dunson6

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2006, 11:30:46 AM »
St Johns
Brooklyn

They seem way cooler than the higher ranked schools.  Brooklyn's package was so freaking awesome.  St. John's is so pretty.  And they offer merit money, which I really, really want.

10shot

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2006, 11:36:42 AM »
1) NYU + Furman scholarship.
2) Yale

If it isn't obvious I have some interest in academia and these appear to be the two best shots at getting a position.  Also, I intend to focus on international and comparative law and NYU is number 1 in that area hence my desire to go there first.
UMich class of 2012
Go Blue!

dunson6

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2006, 11:50:05 AM »
2) Yale

If it isn't obvious I have some interest in academia and these appear to be the two best shots at getting a position.  Also, I intend to focus on international and comparative law and NYU is number 1 in that area hence my desire to go there first.

Harvard and Chicago are both clearly better for entering academia than NYU.

Yawn.  Don't you prestigious people ever tire of debating the insignificant differences between top 5 schools? 

dunson6

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2006, 03:28:47 PM »
Seriously.  I got home and saw a big package and was like wow someone loves me and guess what, it was Brooklyn Law School.  I'm keeping that cool folder thingamajig.

2) Yale

Harvard and Chicago are both clearly better for entering academia than NYU.

Yawn.  Don't you prestigious people ever tire of debating the insignificant differences between top 5 schools? 

I don't think it's an insignificant difference for academia.  I also don't think this point is at all contested, so I suspect "dmreust" is new to the process and misinformed.

Sure if you're looking at it by volume or whatever, but I don't think the difference between them is as important as the caliber of student, their note, interests, prior academic background and area of interest, etc. 

But I'm not an expert on that.  And I don't like following the xoxo/lsd credited answers for school choices just to follow them or because of statistics or something rational. 

10shot

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2006, 03:38:34 PM »
Na, I know that both of those schools are typically considered better for academia.  However, the Furman scholarship is intended to be a "fast track" to legal academia.  It places the student alongside the teachers and then also allows you access to teaching seminars etc.  That is why I would probably put that as my #1 choice.  You can read more about the Furman scholarship here http://www.law.nyu.edu/depts/admissions/ScholarAcademics/Academics/Furman/Index.html.  I think it is typically viewed as an automatic in in regard to the field of academia.  Oh, and the only reason I know about it is because of this board.  I love this thing.  Thanks for the concern that I might be mixed up though.
UMich class of 2012
Go Blue!

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2006, 03:41:09 PM »
I'd say Harvard then Chicago. 
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.