Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Getting seriously discouraged.  (Read 1016 times)

awesome1

• Sr. Citizen
  • real ninjas go to law school
    • View Profile
Re: Getting seriously discouraged.
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 08:50:42 AM »
Maybe you should accept your score.

Barnum

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • griffonprep.com
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 11:03:23 AM »
For LR & RC, the ones I miss it's not so much a matter of not getting it as it is a matter of picking the worse of 2 good answers, or running out of time.

This may also be part of the problem you are having with LR and RC.  There are no questions that come down to picking the better of two answers, so it is not possible that you are getting them wrong for the reason of picking the worse of 2 good answers.  On LR and RC there is only 1 right answer and four wrong answers.  If you want to improve your LR and RC as well, you need to start forcing yourself to truly understand why the answer you chose is incorrect.  This will also help with the time issue.  Most people run out of time on LR and RC because they spend a lot of their time debating among answer choices.  The better your ability to understand why answers are wrong will therefore not only improve your accuracy but your speed as well.

I hear students all the time say, "when I look back I realize right away why I got that problem wrong.  It was just a stupid mistake."  However, in my experience that is not really the case.  If it were that easy a problem to understand you probably wouldn't have gotten it wrong in the first place.  When I get a question wrong, I really analyze the question.  Sometimes I'll spend a good 20-30 minutes with just that one question breaking down the stimulus.  I'll literally write down why each wrong answer is wrong (not just think it to myself, but physically write it down), and write why the write answer is correct.  Then I'll revisit that question a couple days later.  My thought is that if I make a mistake while I am studying, I want to do everything I can to ensure I do not make that mistake again.  When I first started studying I missed about 5 LR per section, when I took the real LSAT I missed 1 LR in each section. 

SBToLaw

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 12:42:21 PM »
For LR & RC, the ones I miss it's not so much a matter of not getting it as it is a matter of picking the worse of 2 good answers, or running out of time.

This may also be part of the problem you are having with LR and RC.  There are no questions that come down to picking the better of two answers, so it is not possible that you are getting them wrong for the reason of picking the worse of 2 good answers.  On LR and RC there is only 1 right answer and four wrong answers.  If you want to improve your LR and RC as well, you need to start forcing yourself to truly understand why the answer you chose is incorrect.  This will also help with the time issue.  Most people run out of time on LR and RC because they spend a lot of their time debating among answer choices.  The better your ability to understand why answers are wrong will therefore not only improve your accuracy but your speed as well.

I hear students all the time say, "when I look back I realize right away why I got that problem wrong.  It was just a stupid mistake."  However, in my experience that is not really the case.  If it were that easy a problem to understand you probably wouldn't have gotten it wrong in the first place.  When I get a question wrong, I really analyze the question.  Sometimes I'll spend a good 20-30 minutes with just that one question breaking down the stimulus.  I'll literally write down why each wrong answer is wrong (not just think it to myself, but physically write it down), and write why the write answer is correct.  Then I'll revisit that question a couple days later.  My thought is that if I make a mistake while I am studying, I want to do everything I can to ensure I do not make that mistake again.  When I first started studying I missed about 5 LR per section, when I took the real LSAT I missed 1 LR in each section. 

I guess I should be more clear: "the best of two answers" isn't really what I meant...I mean that I'm usually able to eliminate 3 answers out of the gate, or after a short reflection, as being wrong, leaving me with 2.  Then, usually because of perceived time pressure, I look over both and end up hastily choosing the wrong one.  When I go back over them, I'm usually immmediately able to see why the correct answer is correct, AND why the answer I chose was incorrect.....The time constraint acts as a blinder, preventing me from seeing the single detail that makes the wrong answer wrong, but with time afterwards I usually see it.  I'll go over my wrong ones in more detail, but with the limited amount of time I have left (about 1 month), wouldn't my time be better spent focusing on the section that I'm missing more on by itself than I am for LR COMBINED?

Anyhow, thanks for the advice.  I'll be sure to spend mre time going over the ones I miss....I  don't do enough of that as of now anyway.

Barnum

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • griffonprep.com
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 02:38:55 PM »
Oh absolutely I would spend the bulk of your remaining study time on logic games since clearly there are more points to be had there.  Others had already given you some advice on that section, so I just thought I'd also add some words on how to improve on the LR.

Good luck, a month may not seem like much, but you still have plenty of time to kill those games.

SBToLaw

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 04:05:57 PM »
Oh absolutely I would spend the bulk of your remaining study time on logic games since clearly there are more points to be had there.  Others had already given you some advice on that section, so I just thought I'd also add some words on how to improve on the LR.

Good luck, a month may not seem like much, but you still have plenty of time to kill those games.

Thanks a lot, and best of luck to you as well if you are taking the test.

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2006, 05:26:15 PM »
I understand you are discouraged, however, I think if you follow Barnum's advice and REALLY think about why an answer is wrong/correct (and write it out, that has been helping me as of late) in the LR and RC sections, you will start to notice an improvement in those sections. For all three sections, I think if you stick with it and practice more you will get better provided you really understand the mistakes you made. I felt like I was in a real rut at about the same score range as you, but lately my full test scores have been coming up and my individual timed section scores have been coming up. As you can see below it took about 4-5 tests for things to start seeing some improvement.

Another "soft factor" you may want to consider is attitiude. For games especially, if you think of them as fun games as opposed to an annoying games, that might help as well.