Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Importance of visits?  (Read 2268 times)

WoooooSTL

• View Profile
Importance of visits?
« on: August 26, 2006, 06:06:19 PM »
Do visits to the schools matter like they do in undergrad admissions?

Do schools even keep track?

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Importance of visits?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 06:50:14 PM »
No, they don't really matter much. I heard people on WUSTL's waitlist who visited were sometimes offered spots the very next day, but other than that occurance, I haven't heard much about visiting being important.

Personally, I didn't visit any schools until I got in (I went and walked around Penn's law building the sunday after thanksgiving when no one was around if that counts), and I don't think that helped or hurt me. I think you should visit only if you are trying to decide where to apply.
Penn Law '09

WoooooSTL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 08:16:17 PM »
Yea, I'm a WUSTL undergrad, and they're big on people showing interest. I think the school has a confidence problem.

Thanks for the reply

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 03:49:30 PM »
 i was recently advised that if a school sends you an invitation to visit its a bad idea to turn it down. I always assumed they sent out mass invitations to anyone who applies. I didn't think they kept track or based admissions decisions on that. If so Im in trouble because I work during the week and can't take off to go traipsing all over the country visiting law schools.
...man, you was who you was before you got here

mjb

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 05:21:19 PM »
I think its very important not from a school standpoint but from a student standpoint. You don't want t oattend a place you'd hate.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 05:25:10 PM »
well of course i understand that aspect and when i get down to deciding between schools i will visit..but im a non-trad with a real job...im not going to be taking time off to go pick up a couple of pamphlets and i dont think it should be held against me or used to measure my interest or lack there of in a particular school. My interest should be obvious when i lay down my $70.00 bucks and complete the application.
...man, you was who you was before you got here

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 05:57:29 PM »
imo, proper research will teach you enough about schools and their environments for you to develop a sense of whether a school would be a good fit.  I was in a similar boat -- non-trad, little disposable time or income -- and didn't visit any of the schools until I was accepted.  At that point, the visit was crucial.  Besides, I'd rather risk wasting $70 on an application to a school I later visit and dislike than waste a lot more $$ on airfare, gas, hotel, etc. to visit a school that may not offer me a seat.     
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 10:04:07 PM »
I'm just visiting the 2 schools in town because I have to do something with my vacation days. I'm visiting my #1 target on Friday because I want to kiss the adcomms feet and explain to them how I am for their program. Not that they wouldn't figure that out from reading my file....I just want to drive the point home a little further.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 10:19:41 PM »
well of course i understand that aspect and when i get down to deciding between schools i will visit..but im a non-trad with a real job...im not going to be taking time off to go pick up a couple of pamphlets and i dont think it should be held against me or used to measure my interest or lack there of in a particular school. My interest should be obvious when i lay down my $70.00 bucks and complete the application.

Don't worry about it. A lot (if not most) of the non-trads don't end up making it to schools to visit because of work or family obligations. I visited the one school I'm attending, but that was really all I could afford. THe people you usually see doing multiple visits are younger and come with their parents who pay for them.

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 12:50:52 AM »
The come with their parents thing is funny.