Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Age vs. GPA  (Read 1458 times)

ferris

• View Profile
Age vs. GPA
« on: February 09, 2004, 07:49:08 PM »
Does anyone know what consideration, if any, is given towards a low GPA if you've been out of school for 8 years?  My GPA was a 2.6 and my LSAT was a 162.  I'm curious what shot I have at the Texas schools to which I have applied...

Thanks for the help.

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
Re: Age vs. GPA
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 08:16:12 PM »
As was stated in earlier threads, if you have been out of college for longer than 5 years your LSAT takes precedence over GPA in many cases and your work experience is by far more important as well.
Ivy_Hopeful

Ps This is the quick answer for a more thurough response look at the threads that pertain to this topic (there are a few recently and far back-- just search under LSAT and 5 (or n years) you should find something, Hope this helps out.
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

Marnet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 08:03:37 AM »
I am wondering how schools regard someone who has extensive and influential professional experience of nearly 20 years -- with a strong voice and many proven accomplishments/awards in community service -- and has about a 2.9-3.0 GPA (with some Dean's List semesters included) from a notable state school (Ivy)but whose LSAT might be quite low. Outstanding recommendations are a part of this picture. If someone has clearly proven their drive, commitment, and capabilities to manage stresses, overcome challenges, initiate and make advancements to help society (even through legal cases), and has incredible and diverse life experience...but just happens to be a poor test taker...what do you think?

apartment

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004, 10:33:36 AM »
The quick and painful answer is that it doesn't look good.  Good work experience can be a real asset to an application once you are under serious consideration.  However, with a very poor LSAT, your application probably would never even make it to committee.  It would be an auto-reject.

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 11:42:20 AM »
Unfortunately, Marnet I agree with random poster. You have three fils in law school sdmissions comittees. Auto reject (never makes it to the committee floor due to lacking in GPA and LSAT with exceptions at certain schools that is) auto admit (never is discussed at a committe due to exceptionally good LSAT and GPA (with execption disclaimer as well) and then the majority which are in limbo and get sent to the committee floor for discussion based on LSAT and GPA similarities among the pool. Then and only then (on most ocasions) the admissions committee tears into your application and looks all qualifiable factors (non-quanitfiable)
IVY-Hopeful
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

CarpeDiem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 12:21:13 PM »
LSAT and GPA is extremely important. You can't get past the fact that a candidate's test score and performance as an undergraduate are the most important components of law school admissions. Work experience will not take away from a poor score and GPA. At best, it is something extra.

Marnet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004, 10:33:46 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for your input. Truth is, I am not sure how I did on the score...alot of this is anxiety and projection right now. I have been told by people I know at the school that my file --due to range of contents -- will be carefully considered from all angles, so we'll see. If need be down the line, I will retake the LSAT. Hopefully, I won't have to.