Virtual Friendships

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
Re: Virtual Friendships
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 04:04:11 PM »
Someone mentioned something along thse lines to me today, got me to thinking.

can a virtual relationship, where youve either never met or harldy ever meet, be just as good as someone youve met face to face?

I think they can...

No.

They're completely different.  They're particularly different when they're conducted under anonymous circumstances.

It's not that either's better or worse.  They're just different.  It's much easier to sculpt a persona online than it is when you meet someone face to face.  Visual and aural cues are important elements in human communication.

Then again, so is the unconfined mind, which is where "virtual" relationships are a boon rather than a vice.  Social pressures make us behave in certain ways in person -- online, a level of anonymity and disconnect helps ease these burdens.

h2xblive

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 04:40:44 PM »
Someone mentioned something along thse lines to me today, got me to thinking.

can a virtual relationship, where youve either never met or harldy ever meet, be just as good as someone youve met face to face?

I think they can...

No.

They're completely different.  They're particularly different when they're conducted under anonymous circumstances.

It's not that either's better or worse.  They're just different.  It's much easier to sculpt a persona online than it is when you meet someone face to face.  Visual and aural cues are important elements in human communication.

Then again, so is the unconfined mind, which is where "virtual" relationships are a boon rather than a vice.  Social pressures make us behave in certain ways in person -- online, a level of anonymity and disconnect helps ease these burdens.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

h2xblive

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 05:00:09 PM »
There's nothing wrong with visiting a foreign country with someone you met online.  ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

John Galt

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 08:01:16 PM »
anyone ever play second life?

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 09:27:49 PM »
hmmmm

Ravynous Elegance

• aw the baby bunt! too bad he got big.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 09:50:53 PM »
I hope virtual friendships can be just as good as real ones...

Its sad but I've met 2 of my past boyfriends, and my current boyfriend online through AIM. I've had mutual friends with all of them... but yeah... we really met online.

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 09:55:25 PM »
they definitely can.  i'm friends with a couple of posters on BLSD--one of them was absolutely instrumental in my application cycle and we talk online all the time

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 06:43:25 AM »
they definitely can.  i'm friends with a couple of posters on BLSD--one of them was absolutely instrumental in my application cycle and we talk online all the time

That's me!  J/k, though I know who it is.  :D

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 11:38:40 AM »
Absolutely!  I think virtual friends are cool. Sometimes you want to just vent and female dog about a situation - the anonymity (sp) gives you that freedom to just let loose and be.