Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: when the levees broke  (Read 751 times)

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
when the levees broke
« on: August 24, 2006, 09:54:51 AM »
 anyone see it? what did you think? i thought it was excellent. didn't beat me over the head with an agenda just told what happened and let me make up my own mind...
...man, you was who you was before you got here

BrerAnansi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
Re: when the levees broke
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 12:27:39 PM »
I think it did a really good job of underscoring what had been missing from much of the traditional coverage.  The media was primarily focused on the physical devastation and the inefficiency of the government without really moving into the personal damage paid by the evacuees.  The day to day quality of life when your family is strewn around the country; finding dead bodies in houses five and six months afterwards; the escalation of the crime rate in the city post-Katrina; the tough choices to be made by residents: providing for their family or remaining in New Orleans; the mental anguish and the effects that are still being felt etc.  I think Spike did a really good job of letting the people tell their story, and what emerges is emotionally stirring and in that sense quite superior to what would have been gotten by a more ferocious attack on the government.   
Grrr...

Quote from: 1LCorvo
If there aren't any arguments against my claims, then I'll depart gracefully. Feel free to continue the concordant attack on my character, it's funny.

Quote from: Saxibbles
Hugs,
Look to the f-ing left.

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 12:34:06 PM »
I thought it was great! Really well done. I like how Spike didn't inject himself into the movie as well.  I didn't get to see the second part yet, but I'll catch it this weekend when it replays.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 12:41:01 PM »
I thought it was great! Really well done. I like how Spike didn't inject himself into the movie as well.  I didn't get to see the second part yet, but I'll catch it this weekend when it replays.

When does it play on the weekend?  I really want to see it because I've heard that it's excellent.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 12:45:28 PM »
its on on demand but im sure they will rerun it about 100 times. also the part where the lady holds up the picture of her 5 year old daughter who drowned and cries....im a grown a-- man but everytime i see that i cry

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 02:02:15 PM »

When does it play on the weekend?  I really want to see it because I've heard that it's excellent.

HBO will replay When the Levees Broke in a continuous four-hour encore beginning at 9 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 29.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 02:03:41 PM »
I haven't watched it yet..but I recorded it..will see it over the weekend and update with my thoughts...
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

OES_Tiff

• Sr. Citizen
  • The "sole" reason I got myself into this crap!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 09:34:40 PM »
Unfortunately, I missed the first half.  I saw the second day and it was good.  I also liked the fact that they showed how it affected everyone and not just "us." I also liked that they showed the african american female with the advanced degrees who was married to the guy with the advanced degrees.  That shed a light on the fact that all of the african americans whom were affected didn't just come from low income housing projects as the media portrayed.

And Barbara Bush should've received so much more backlash for her statements...

And I love Michael Eric Dyson.  He impresses me each time he opens his mouth. 

My question is...do those people not have a case against the city of N.O, the state of Louisiana, and/or the federal government?

Does anyone know the rationale behind the reason why the relatives of the victims of 9/11 received compensation?

Did Katrina not qualify?

The program definitely reaffirmed my belief that many of those people were killed; they didn't die.  And the Hurricane isn't what killed them; the levees did so someone needs to be held responsible.  What about that old woman who was in the wheelchair pushed up against the locker?  Her son said that he put her name and information in her pocket on a sheet of paper and still couldn't locate her for 2 months?  That's freaking ridiculous.

I swear I don't understand why there hasn't been a wave of suits.  Can't they get them on something, false imprisonment, wrongful death, negligent infliction of emotional distress, something.

I vaguely remember hearing some talk about a suit but I don't know for what.

Where's Willie Gary?  He needs to be on this.

LAcreole

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Struggle Continues
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 02:33:09 PM »
I watched and I thought it was really good. It was about time that people got the chance to hear from the people and not the media on the truth of Hurricane Katrina. This was very emotional  for me, because it hit really close to home. Spike Lee captured what should have been common sense for all Americans', that these were people too, regardless of color. You cannot begin to understand how many friends and family I have, who lost everything, and not just material things but love ones in this horrific disaster. Regardless of economic or social background each one of these victims come from, they deserve the utmost sympathy and respect from our country and most importantly our people. I applaud Mr. Lee for this and in all my hopes I pray that this will not be forgotten.
Sellouts for sale: 19.99 for reg. and 29.99 for the limit edition ones. Disclaimer: Not for a limited time only,they keep coming by the mintues.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 03:15:19 PM »
just throwing it out there 'cause thats what i do....Ray Nagin really bothers me...i am no fan of bush and i blame him for his lack of leadership, indifference to the lives of black people and for being a moron in general BUT preparing for a hurricane is the job of local officials...ray nagin seems to be coming out of this too clean for me...why didn't he take all the city buses school buses whatever means he had available out of the storm's path and have them ready for the people who didn't couldn't evacuate...we all watch the news there are always people who dont evacuate...there were so many things that could have been done that weren't i mean city resources are his they were under his control...again there's plenty of blame to go around for the aftermath but to my knowledge he hasn't taken responsiblity anywher that i've seen for his city's destruction...he pointed the finger at the governor and she definately needs a can of whoop a-- but i dont think that the as many people would have died if the city would have properly prepared