Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Letters of Acceptance  (Read 29492 times)

Lawschool2005

Re: Letters of Acceptance
« Reply #250 on: April 13, 2004, 04:53:51 PM »
After reading all these comments I have every reason to believe that Louder Than Bombs is most probably very prejudiced and bitter towards Minorities. From his postings on the board about Brooklyn and the thugs it is apparent that he has a problem with people of color. No-one not even Cal herself is saying that it is not a bit unfair, However numbers do not always make up the whole package. Everyone knows that Cali schools are gpa whores. What says more, 4 years of studying and a high Gpa to show for it or one test and a high score? Either way, it is not your place to tell Cal or Ruskie that they didn't deserve to get in to Boalt. You write with such hatred and bitterness that I have to agree with one of the previous responders I would not want to go to school with you. You are not someone I would want in my class because your views are limited and small. You cannot see out of your box.
   To then bash Cal and say she will not do well at Boalt just goes to prove my point, You had right to say that, and she could say that to you. You had 1 High Lsat score and a barely there gpa, whereas she had a good gpa and an ok Lsat score. Obvioulsy she knows how to study actual topics and works.
   I think it is abhorent that you are to become a lawyer, How ca you with such a small view understand others or appreciate what other people go through.
   You then go on to completely dismiss Ruskies scores and the fact that she checked White on her applicatoin. It is obvious that you don't choose to want to focus your negative energies on her because she is not a minority. This topic wasn't about URM's , asian americans at that school aren't really considered Urm's!!
   This is about trying to bring down Minoritys and bring up feelings of bitterenss in others who may have been denied at schools of their choice as well.
   And how dare you suggest that just because Cal is going to Boalt that what she is doing is illegal. She got admitted by the admissoins council at that school. They accepted her, she didn't make them. Obviously there saw something in her that Lots of schools obviously didn't see in you!!!

Well Done Cal and Ruskie.

dnw2007

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 13, 2004, 04:56:13 PM »
If the LSAT is free from bias, explain disparity in scores in relation to ethnic backgrounds.  The average score for African-Americans is 142, for Hispanics is 143 but for whites is 152.  Doesn't that seem odd?

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 13, 2004, 04:59:43 PM »
Louder than Bombs--

If Boalt's admissions process disgusts you so thoroughly, why don't you call them and tell them that..or any L-school for that matter.  You won't though because you KNOW you're being ridiculous.  I think we should let the admissions folks show us how the admissions process works.  They have given us a great example by accepting Cal4ever.  If you disagree, you better call them and tell them, before this injustice continues!!!  Imagine how they would handle your remarks.  They might call the admissions officers at your school and tell them what a prejudiced candidate you are.  We don't need more animal lawyers out there.
W Bush: I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to
answer questions. I can't answer your question."
In response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the 
first debate. Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Oct. 4, 2000

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!

mermistress

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #253 on: April 13, 2004, 05:00:23 PM »

Jesus Christ Tahoe...I have already explained that LSAT and UGPA are the two MAIN criteria by which the qualification of an applicant is judged - nobody can disagree with this. Also, it is accepted that all other determinants of qualification are secondary and are used merely to further distinguish between similarly qualified candidates. Since the person in question was grossly underqualified in terms of the main criteria, the secondary criteria should not even come into play.

Chris

she was NOT grossly underqualified in terms of LSAT/gpa.  the 25th percentile LSAT at Boalt is 160, she barely falls below that.  her gpa is right up there near the 50% range...add in exceptional experiences, personal statement, and LORs and you have a highly qualified candidate for admission.

Louder Than Bombs

« Reply #254 on: April 13, 2004, 05:02:52 PM »
If the LSAT is free from bias, explain disparity in scores in relation to ethnic backgrounds.  The average score for African-Americans is 142, for Hispanics is 143 but for whites is 152.  Doesn't that seem odd?

No, it doesn't. There are a certainly several possible explanations for this phenomenon.

Chris

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: April 13, 2004, 05:05:52 PM »

No, it doesn't. There are a certainly several possible explanations for this phenomenon.

Chris

What are you possible explanations...bomb boy.
W Bush: I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to
answer questions. I can't answer your question."
In response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the 
first debate. Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Oct. 4, 2000

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!

Louder Than Bombs

« Reply #256 on: April 13, 2004, 05:17:20 PM »
My explanations for this phenomenon are irrelevant. I am not a statistician, nor do I have access to specific data about the test takers.

Nor is any explanation of this phenomenon relevant to this discussion. The only things that are relevant are the median LSAT score and 25%-75% LSAT score of a particular institution.

Chris

kslaw

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 13, 2004, 05:24:55 PM »
Louder than Bombs-

You mentioned that you think factors outside of the LSAT and GPA should only come into play when deciding between two candidates equivalent in numbers

I think this is illogical.

cal has mentioned personal hardships. We do not know what they were or how they may have affected her performance on the LSAT. We do not know if those hardships affected her GPA. What we do know is that her LSAT score is at the 80th percentile, that her GPA is high from a challenging undergraduate program.

Let's suppose for a moment that in her personal statement she revealed the following:

Her high GPA was earned while enduring hardship.
Her LSAT score was lower than she would've liked because, I don't know, she was undergoing chemotherapy and couldn't stay focused on the last two sections of the exam.

Let's add that she has since completed chemotherapy and is perfectly healthy. The problem that plagued her during the LSAT is no longer an issue.

If I were an admissions officer, and compared her application to someone who had the same GPA, but a much higher LSAT, who listed no work experience, no adversity, etc, I would probably take cal.

If someone has an extenuating circumstance that affected their GPA or LSAT score, that will naturally be taken into consideration whether they are a minority or not. And why shouldn't it be? If their lives had gone as smoothly as the next person's, they may have had much, much higher scores. Not to mention, the lower scores may not be a reflection of their ability to succeed in law school or as an attorney, but rather a reflection of the extenuating circumstances of that stage of his/her life.

It is up to the admissions office to select the best candidates for their school, and in doing their job, they frequently consider factors outside of scores. To say that GPA and LSAT alone should exclude someone from consideration when extenuating circumstances exist is just...well...crazy.

Louder Than Bombs

« Reply #258 on: April 13, 2004, 05:29:45 PM »

Jesus Christ Tahoe...I have already explained that LSAT and UGPA are the two MAIN criteria by which the qualification of an applicant is judged - nobody can disagree with this. Also, it is accepted that all other determinants of qualification are secondary and are used merely to further distinguish between similarly qualified candidates. Since the person in question was grossly underqualified in terms of the main criteria, the secondary criteria should not even come into play.

Chris

she was NOT grossly underqualified in terms of LSAT/gpa.  the 25th percentile LSAT at Boalt is 160, she barely falls below that.  her gpa is right up there near the 50% range...add in exceptional experiences, personal statement, and LORs and you have a highly qualified candidate for admission.

I stand corrected. Perhaps she was not grossly underqualified, but she was underqualified nonetheless. Her GPA was at or below the median and her LSAT was under the 25%. For the vast majority of applicants, this means rejection.

I had assumed the 25% LSAT at Boalt to be much higher, somewhere around 165ish.

I would still be upset if I didn't get into Boalt with numbers at or above the medians - not many people get accepted to Boalt with LSATs in the 150's. But I guess her acceptance is not as vile as I had once thought.

Chris

dnw2007

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 13, 2004, 05:30:55 PM »
Tahoetahoe & Louder Than Bombs:

Please give me a reasons for such a disparity in LSAT score between Blacks/Latinos and Whites.