Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: addendum to explain CEGEp  (Read 3250 times)

Geo_Storm

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
addendum to explain CEGEp
« on: August 24, 2006, 01:24:56 AM »
Do American adcomms know the Quebec education system well? Because with CEGEP I'm afraid that it looks like I attended a community college before going to university.
And then had to take 7 semesters to get my bachelor's in engineering from McGill where it actually is a 7 semester program. That's not a huge problem because I took full course load every semester.

But should I provide a addendum for my CEGEP studies? Should I put it on faith that they'll know what it is. My grades from CEGEP were pretty high (89.5%) but it was also much easier.
THE LSN is here. PLZ post on my LSN profile.

I wish I had more fingers to cross.

RainbowBrite

Re: addendum to explain CEGEp
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 02:28:25 PM »
I wouldn't assume that they know. Call up the schools you are applying to and see how familiar they are with that system. If you find that they have no clue what you are talking about then I think it would merit a quick addendum just to explain what it is about.

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 03:37:31 PM »
You might want to insert a quick sentence in there both about what CEGEP is and about the 7-semester thing. If you're lucky, they will have heard of Marianopolis. I would however wager a considerable sum that they've never heard of Dawson or Vanier.
Penn (2007)

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 05:47:41 PM »
Damn that Quebec!   :D
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

Geo_Storm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 09:19:48 PM »
You might want to insert a quick sentence in there both about what CEGEP is and about the 7-semester thing. If you're lucky, they will have heard of Marianopolis. I would however wager a considerable sum that they've never heard of Dawson or Vanier.

Or John Abbott College, or as my friends like to call it, John Abbott Country Club.
Anyways thanks for the advice. I'll definitely call them up next week.

bobotheclown

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 06:43:12 PM »

You've got to be kidding if you think they've heard of any of those three Cegeps.

I'd ask a counselor at McGill who has some experience with people applying to grad school in the States. Honestly, I don't think cegep even merits a spot on your CV.

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 07:02:53 PM »
You've got to be kidding if you think they've heard of any of those three Cegeps.

Reads like you should take a second look at the post ...

And incidentally, most apps will ask about your high school. You kinda sorta have to put it there.
Penn (2007)

Geo_Storm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 02:40:13 AM »
Thanks again for the advice.
aND I definitely have to put it there. I sent LSAC my transcript from CEGEP so the law schools are definitely going to see it. As well, it's listed as one of the post-secondary schools on LSDAS so...

bobotheclown

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 01:50:41 PM »

Reads like you should take a second look at the post ...

And incidentally, most apps will ask about your high school. You kinda sorta have to put it there.

Cegep isn't high school.

Like I said, ask a counselor.

Gilles, I was commenting on your comment about schools having heard of Marianopolis.

Michael1985

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 03:18:14 PM »
I just got royally screwed by LSAC concerning my CEGEP marks. Because both cegeps I attended give number grades (Cegep de la Gaspesie and Dawson College) they used the LSAC GPA conversion scale. I should have a 3.43 GPA with my University marks as well but instead have a 3.06 which puts me out of the running for any good law school pretty much. And by the way, according to them an 89.5% from Dawson would only translate to a 3.0 GPA.