Law School Discussion

Stupid Things that I thought before I got to Law School

TruOne

• I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
Stupid Things that I thought before I got to Law School
« on: August 23, 2006, 07:04:22 PM »
Alot of young cats on here (myself included) have two things in abundance.

1. Questions about Law School
2. Assumptions about what Law School is gonna be like.

Now that I've survived 1.5 weeks of having my intellectual ass kicked by 6 different Professors, I can talk about some of my own foley's and hope that others will learn from my more arrogant assumptions.

1. I'm gonna be ahead of the game by getting a list of the books/cases and reading early.
- Don't do it to yourself kid. I didn't do any of that and I'm GLAD! Cuz I would've confused the @#!* outta myself. The thing that I'm learning about LS is that the Professors are in C O M P L E T E control of all that you see and hear, they control the vertical and horizontal, they can dillude you with a thousand hypotheticals or expand one to crystal clarity.

Even if you were to get hip to the game and read Pennoyer v. Neff (::shudders::) and log onto LexisNexis or WestLaw or even asking a Lawyer about the case, it is not going to do you anything becuase the Professor with PURPOSELY take an entire week to discuss the case because there is a significant point that he wants to get out of the case. He doesn't care about HOW the Court ruled the way they did, he is interested in the CONCEPTS that the Court discussed and whhy they discussed them. Yer in the Matrix Neo, just take the pill and follow Morpheus, don't try to fight Agent Smith's on your firsrt day.

2. I'll stay ahead of the game by reading AHEAD of the assigned reading.
- Hang that dream up right now kid. If your school is anything like mine, your schedule will not permit you to read EXTRA chapters ahead of what you are reading in class. My classes start at 9:30 and end at 4:20. Let's say I try to get in the bed by a reasonable time (12:00-12:30) That leaves about 7hrs that I can spend reading. By the time I get done reading the REQUIRED reading for the next day the FIRST time, going back to HIGHLIGHT important sections and going back a THIRD time to BRIEF the case its going to take me most of the night. Then you have to add in the fact that your body needs to do this little thing called EAT FOOD. Heaven forbid you get a phone call from a relative or you have to go grocery shopping or you want to watch Project Runway or Prison Break.

There is honestly, not enough time to be SUPER NERD and do more than what is asked of you. This is a marathon, not a race.

3. I'm used to reading alot of stuff in my Major, I won't have a problem reading the cases.
- Of course not son, we're all literary geniuses. Anybody with a High School education can read and understand the cases. . . .ON THE SURFACE LEVEL. You know that Plessy v. Ferguson dealt with a Quadroon being kicked out of his seat and sent to sit in the colored section and the Supreme Court ruled that public facilities had to be Seperate but Equal.

The sad part is that you haven't even touched the SURFACE of what the Professors want you to learn about that case. It will require that you re-read the case a good 3-4 more times so you can highlight and evaluate certain sections or concepts and see how they apply to an overall bigger (mysterious) picture. Read so that you can be willing and able to be dissected and re-arranged by the Professor, don't try to be a legal scholar in your first semester.

4. I worked for a Lawyer for umpteen years, I'm familiar with the Law.
- ::Does the Jadakiss Laugh:: I thought the same thing too, but like I'm slowly learning. The PRACTICE OF LAW is a lot more different than the THEORY of law. I know how to file briefs and complaints and draft Request for Interogatories or Notice for Deposition. But I'm confused as H E L L about what "In rem" and "In persona" jurisdiction is and what the hell Neff did to piss off the Oregon Courts so much. I'm back at square one just like everybody else, and now I'm having to re-learn how to think. Holla at me in 6-8 weeks to see if I learned what I was supposed to.

5. I'm not gonna become friends with anybody outside of the ones I got now.
- What I am realizing now is that Law School is the beginning of your Professonial Career. Especially considering the fact that we are Black, we are alrady behind the 8ball. Unless you grew up in a Professional family in which everyone had a terminal degree and was elected to Congress and sat on Director Boards, you probably don't have anywhere NEAR as much reach as some of these White Boys yer gonna be sitting next to in class.

I'm realizing that I'm in a whole new ball game. There were some pretty well-off cats at my Undergrad, but not at the level or frequency of what I'm seeing now. You ain't gotta be the shuckin' and jivin' negro to any-damn-body, but at the same time you gotta learn to extend that Olive Branch to more people than just your local BLSA. Don't get me wrong, I love my BLSA and appreciate how organized and on top of their *&^% that they are, but at the same time, our BLSA has only become an effective force within the past 5 years. These White cats in class who are going out drinking and partying and walkin' into class with their Tau-Omega-Chi-Xi-whatever Fraternity shirts on may not seem like the sharpest crayons (and alot of times they aren't, despite their pretense) but they are going to be running *&^% in about 10 years. You ain't gotta be their friend, but it won't hurt if they know WHO your are and WHAT you are capable of doing.

6. Don't nobody know *&^%
"The Man who thinks he knows something knows that he knows nothing at all" Erykah Badu
Tru'er words were never spoken. Hell, you should take this post with a grain of sand cuz lord knows I'm only speculating and give my OPIINIONS on what I've seen so far. Yer gonna get in class and yer gonna be around a whole bunch of Brainiac Overachiver MF'ers who think they know everything there is to know about the case just because they read the hornnotes or Treatises.

DON'T LISTEN TO THEM, it don't matter who speaks the best in class or who has the must polished outlines/briefs. All that matters is DID YOU PASS THAT FINAL EXAM, AND IF SO WHAT SIDE OF THE CURVE WERE YOU ON?

Everything else is opinion and hearsay.

jrosh

Re: Stupid Things that I thought before I got to Law School
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 12:33:53 PM »
Good post.

TruOne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 01:13:37 PM »
112 views and only 1 reply

We got alot of lookie-lou's up in here.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 01:48:42 PM »
Reading ahead is the biggest waste of time ever.  There's always somebody who thinks they have to read ahead by like 4 or 5 assignments to look sharp to the rest, but soon come to find out that when they're called on in class for TODAY'S assignment, they can't remember it because they read it 2 weeks ago.

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 03:13:43 PM »
Wow I was sleeping on this thread -didnt see it until now.  Good stuff.

112 views and only 1 reply

We got alot of lookie-lou's up in here.
;'

TrueOne: I think that's because you said it all and quite well I might add.  Nodded my head to every single point :)

TruOne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 12:59:58 AM »
Reading ahead is the biggest waste of time ever.  There's always somebody who thinks they have to read ahead by like 4 or 5 assignments to look sharp to the rest, but soon come to find out that when they're called on in class for TODAY'S assignment, they can't remember it because they read it 2 weeks ago.

How the hell has anybody found time to read ahead 4 or 5 assignments? That's what I wanna know! I took off Last sunday and didn't read anything, I was messed up for the whole week! I didn't get back on track until Thursday!

How come didn't nobody warn us about this at them damn Law School Forums put on the the LSAC??!!!??

The worst thing in the world is when somebody gets called on and they don't have the answer.

Professor: What did Judge Oliver Wendell Holmes' cousin's babysitter's hairstylist say about the footnote on page 37?
Student: uh. .. ..he said. . . .*flips thru pages* that. . . .
Professor: *Continues to stare dead center into the student's grill*
Student: Uh....I don't know. . .*thinks that he got off easy*
Professor: What do you mean you don't know? You read the case didn't you?
Student: Yeah. . .I did.
Professor: You took extensive notes didn't you?
Student: Yeah . . .I just...
Professor: So then what is the answer?
Student: Uh.. . .

Ya'll 2L and 3L's need to be held liable for omission of telling us that it was gonna be like this.

skeeball

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 06:29:49 AM »
This might be a little wierd but...

Your post makes me wish I was starting LS this year because I'm so sick of my job.

Jontor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 07:05:07 AM »
Agreed, Truone

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 10:05:55 AM »

How the hell has anybody found time to read ahead 4 or 5 assignments? That's what I wanna know! I took off Last sunday and didn't read anything, I was messed up for the whole week! I didn't get back on track until Thursday!

How come didn't nobody warn us about this at them damn Law School Forums put on the the LSAC??!!!??

The worst thing in the world is when somebody gets called on and they don't have the answer.

Professor: What did Judge Oliver Wendell Holmes' cousin's babysitter's hairstylist say about the footnote on page 37?
Student: uh. .. ..he said. . . .*flips thru pages* that. . . .
Professor: *Continues to stare dead center into the student's grill*
Student: Uh....I don't know. . .*thinks that he got off easy*
Professor: What do you mean you don't know? You read the case didn't you?
Student: Yeah. . .I did.
Professor: You took extensive notes didn't you?
Student: Yeah . . .I just...
Professor: So then what is the answer?
Student: Uh.. . .

Ya'll 2L and 3L's need to be held liable for omission of telling us that it was gonna be like this.

Bruh you can't be serious. As many pages and pages and pages of posts that we put on the 1L thread talking about how bad law school is.  You have actual notice, constructive notice and inquisition notice all the time.  We put out all the classics you now know and love, such as:

"I believe that at times the Socratic method can be warped to serve the narcissistic tendencies of law professors rather than function as a practical pedogogical method." - Lil' Token
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,24947.msg378897.html#msg378897

"at my school it's more discussion oriented. at some schools the professor will call on one student and grill that one student for a 45 min session. Ask Sands, he has seen this." - Lady Day
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,24947.msg379074.html#msg379074

"my school is HEAVILY socratic. from the first day (our seating chart is alphabetical by last name, so the prof. has the chart the first day) every single one of my prof.'s grills people. of course some are worse than others. it is the worst in the fall semester because u really dont know ur classmates that well, its a bunch of a strangers, and here u are, getting grilled by the prof., the last thing u want to do is sound dumb. of course, no matter what, u will get at least some of the questions wrong, everyone does. and actually, everyone really doesn't care how u do, cause they are happy they aren't picked on. and the ones who do smile and shake their head and laugh at people who try to answer in class, well, ur not gonna friends with those a$$holes anyway, so F'em! In the spring semester, it gets a lot easier. u know most of ur classmates, they know ur intelligent, if u bomb when u get called on, they know u had a bad day...know u got that dang memo due in a week, with 4 hours of con law reading to do. (oh wait, i just described what happened to me today, ha)" - Bubbazzz
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,24947.msg379127.html#msg379127

"The socratic method keeps you sharp.  I do the best in classes where the professors stick to it.  We've all seen that poor rat bastard who gets called on and doesn't have a clue.  You don't wanna be that cat." - Me
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,24947.msg379548.html#msg379548

"SOCRATIC STORY OF THE DAY (from Civ Pro):

Prof: So when the litigation starts the burden is on which side?
Sands: The plaintiff.
Prof: And why is that?
Sands: Because the defendant is guilty until proven innocent.
Prof: I think you mean to say innocent until proven guilty right?
Sands: Oh yeah, that too.
[Class laughs their ass off]" - Me
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,24947.msg381752.html#msg381752

":: Bubbazzz looking at the clock - only 10 minutes left :::

Prof: so what do u think? (points to bubbazzz)
Bubz: Uh, I agree with what she said
Prof: why?
Bubz: because their was no fundamental right
Prof: hmmm, interesting, now what question are you trying to answer?
Bubz; I'm sorry?
Prof: we covered that 10 minutes ago
Bubz: oh
Prof: so now tell me, what did she say that you agreed with?
Bubz: i don't remember
Prof: how can u not remember? you clearly remembered it when you said you agreed with her
Bubz: well, i did remember then, but now i don't.
Prof: (shakes his head) dumba$$

::: with that, the whole class, including myself erupts in laughter :::

Now he called on me clearly because i was staring at the clock and wanted to make a point.
Moral of the story - WEAR A WATCH TO CLASS" - Bubbazzz
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,24947.msg381872.html#msg381872

"
Prof: I need a plaintiff attorney [looks around]...uhhhh You
Unsuspecting Student 1 (US1): uhhhh... ok
Prof: So as plaintiff's attorney what would you argue for your client in this case to rebut the defendants summary judgment?
US1: uhhhhhh....[looks at case book] Embarrassed uhhhhhhh...
Prof: OK I need a Co-Counsel for the plaintiff's attorney [looks around]....You
US2:  Shocked
Prof: So what can you argue here in this case to help out your fellow plaintiff attorney?
US2: uhhhhh...I didn't get all the way thru this case
Prof: Well perhaps Co-Counsel has a summer intern who's actually read the case...[looks around] You, you're the summer intern. Have you read the case?
US3:   Shocked  Embarrassed Lips sealed
Prof: That's it. You're all fired.

SAME CLASS:

Prof: So let's break away from the case for a minute and let me pose a Hypo...[looks at seating chart]...ehhhh Yes You in the back
Student: I have to pass
Prof: Huh It's a Hypo.  How do you pass on a Hypo???" - Me
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,24947.msg382122.html#msg382122

And perhaps the best quote from the lady who loves the law, miss SMU.  Now you know its bad if SMU is complaining:
"Hello everyone . . . .. I've been drowning in law school . . . .. I hope everyone is doing fine.  Pre 1L's enjoy it while it lasts.  I haven't had a minute of free time since the second week of school.  I've already pulled three all nighters. " - SMU
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,24947.msg381964.html#msg381964

Caveat Emptore, Son.

(translation - we tried to told ya! Law school is no punk b!tch)

J D

• Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 11:47:45 AM »
Sands, I don't think there's any duty to warn here (special relationship?  I think not!), even assuming, arguendo, that we were in breach of any such duty were it shown to exist.  ;)  ::)