Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What about those ridiculously expensive law school books?  (Read 1445 times)

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
What about those ridiculously expensive law school books?
« on: August 23, 2006, 02:12:40 PM »
So I heard buying law books was going to be way more expensive than ugrad.  But I've bought every book for the fall except one, and I've spent $145 total.  The only book I haven't bought is $40 new.  This doesn't seem too expensive to me.

What am I missing?

kiyakoiya

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What about those ridiculously expensive law school books?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 02:17:28 PM »
really? did you do it all online?  i went through the coop and spent 400+, half-used and half-new.  how'd you manage that?

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 02:23:29 PM »
Yea, all online.

Civ Pro Casebook $67.50
"The Power of Procedure" $2
Criminal Law Casebook $50
Torts Casebook $25

I didn't purchase the Civ Pro Supplement (I think it's $40), since I couldn't find it for sure online.  I also didn't purchase a Legal Writing book (no one had it).

kiyakoiya

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 02:30:08 PM »
well, good for you (she said bitterly). see you next week!

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 02:30:47 PM »
Yea, I'm looking forward to it.

UGAfootballfanatic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 07:31:51 AM »
I'm up to $450 for everything, mostly bought online. the two that made up 1/2 that total were teh classes I had the books locally for-the prof's own Legal Writing text, for example. I spent $250 online on Amazon for 5 books and $200 inthe bookstore for 2 books. Grrr... The pieces at the bookstore would have cost well over $500...

thenextstep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 10:00:22 AM »
Bass I think you just got really lucky - both in finding deals and in what books you have to buy.  Some of the books I had to buy were new enough that a used copy wouldn't be out there (published in June) and others don't seem to have many online that I could find that were cheaper once you add in shipping.  So I spent $450... sad.

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 11:44:38 AM »
Bass I think you just got really lucky - both in finding deals and in what books you have to buy.  Some of the books I had to buy were new enough that a used copy wouldn't be out there (published in June) and others don't seem to have many online that I could find that were cheaper once you add in shipping.  So I spent $450... sad.

Well, that sounds good.  I definitely recommend half.com for anyone still looking for books.  They have some highlighting, but I got good quality books.

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 10:20:47 AM »

Well, that sounds good.  I definitely recommend half.com for anyone still looking for books.  They have some highlighting, but I got good quality books.

Personally, I would not want casebooks with anyone else's highlighting in them -- I think that's a very bad idea.

It doesn't bother me, and I can't afford to be picky.  Maybe it's a very bad idea for you, but I don't think it's a bad idea for everyone.  I never use highlighters, and I can ignore them pretty easily.  I also know what works for me pretty well by now.

Ever

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 04:16:03 PM »
You may want that supllament - Not sure I can get through civ pro without mine.

I think I spent about 800 on books but I bought new mostly. All the used ones were in bad shape. Eh well.