Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Military Background, Low GPA  (Read 1169 times)

geversaw

• View Profile
Military Background, Low GPA
« on: February 09, 2004, 04:48:27 PM »
I graduated from the Coast Guard Academy 6 years ago, with a GPA that was a less than stellar (2.7). However, I still graduated around the middle of my class. My question is, with law school admissions placing such a high weight on GPA's, is there any consideration given to the fact that most GPA's at military academies are lower than their civilian counterparts. Secondly, with a slightly higher than average LSAT score (161), what tier law school would you focus on applying to?

pbc

• View Profile
Re: Military Background, Low GPA
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 05:35:12 PM »
Depends on where you want to go. Although your GPA is relatively low, the mere fact that you geaduated from the USCGA, provided that you were not court martialed or dishonorably discharged, indicates that your level of discipline and commitment is probably greater then what is indicated by your grades.  Although it is doubtful that your military education will have any bearing (pardon the pun) on your index number, it should, at the very least, benefit you when you are compared with a student with a similar index number.   Furthermore, a 161 LSAT score, although it will not get you into Harvard, should get your foot in the door at most schools. I'd say Reaches among the lower tier 1 schools, good possibility among tier 2 schools, and pick a couple tier 3's as  safeties. 

By the way are you going JAG?

geversaw

• View Profile
Re: Military Background, Low GPA
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 02:02:47 PM »
No dishonorable discharge, no court martial. I just want to do something else. Although the Coast Guard doesn't have a JAG program like the Navy, I'm not planning on going back once I get my degree. Been there, done that, now it's time for something new.

However, I am hoping that since it's been 6 years since I graduated, that they'll place a little more emphasis on my LSAT than my GPA. Any truth to that rumor?