Law School Discussion

Early Decision Exclusivity

awesome1

• real ninjas go to law school
    • View Profile
Re: Early Decision Exclusivity
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 03:09:45 PM »
There is such a thing as Nonbinding Early Decision.  Yes, it is in reality just an Early Application process. But this is not Laugh Out Loud funny.

bboyspekz

• Yes, that is me in Union Sq, NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 03:16:47 PM »
I apologize for your lack of humor.LOL...learn to laugh a lil...I said LOL because I figured some ppl would find the jargon confusing the way I put it. Not because the situation itself was any bit funny.

Thank you for your useless unneccessary criticism!!!!

Be happy  :)

AS FAR AS ED vs. EA is concerned...
For the sake of all those new to the boards...there is a distinct difference between ED and EA!! Because some schools call their Early Apply policy "Early Decision" does not mean it should be referred to as "Non-Binding" Early Decision. That would just make things confusing!! Then there would be no purpose to the phrase Early Apply!!! Case closed!!

bboyspekz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 03:33:10 PM »
Sorry buddy, I actually haven't watched TV in a long time, maybe CNN or msnbc on the monitors at work..if you wanna fill me in on what these commericals are about be my guest...

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2006, 06:31:41 AM »
LOL you must be reading it wrong...It wouldn't be Early Decision unless it was BINDING upon acceptance.

Perhaps Cornell and others simply called the program "Early Decision" when in reality it was just as equal to an Early Apply (LoL, I hope u can understand that). The whole point of the existance of EARLY DECISION is to promise a school you will go there as long as your accepted!!  :P

From UT:
http://www.utexas.edu/law/depts/admissions/application/jd_app.html"Early Decision Admission is not binding."

I've heard of rolling admissions and early decisions, but never EA.  And yes, every school I've looked is just like UT -- a non-binding early decision with a deadline (as in not rolling admissions) of November 1st.  Applicants may find out their status in Dec or Jan, or be held to be considered with the regular applicant pool in February.   

So, according to you it's "EA", but I doubt your opinion is going to make the Admissions Department rewrite their application bulletin.  And I stand by my initial point that applicants should thoroughly check if ED is binding or non-binding at their LS of choice.  It would really suck if someone looked at 6 LS's saw they were non-binding ED, and applied to a 7th thinking it was non-binding as well, only to be accepted and locked in when they might have rather gone to their other 6 choices.

Binding early decision schools also require you to sign a contract when you apply, stipulating that you will withdraw your other apps if you get accepted.  If you are careless enough to just sign something without reading it, perhaps you don't have the attention to detail necessary to be a lawyer.  Doing that while practicing could lead to big problems for you or your client.

bboyspekz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2006, 08:26:32 AM »
Yea MonLi takes the cake on this one...
and as far as the EA vs ED thing...
Obviously there is a difference. Law schools have definitely made things more confusing by calling their EA programs "Non-Binding" ED. Oh well. There's really nuthin you can do about that. I guess..like MonLi said just watch out for that strict contract!!!