Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: resume - is 2 pgs ok?  (Read 2632 times)

wovst

• View Profile
resume - is 2 pgs ok?
« on: August 21, 2006, 03:57:37 PM »
my UG career services center recommends 2 pg resumes for law school applications. thoughts?

mantis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: resume - is 2 pgs ok?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 03:59:26 PM »
I hope two pages is ok.. if I go any shorter than that I'll have to write a page-long addendum to tell them what else I've been doing with my life since I graduated.   :D

second_chance

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 03:59:49 PM »
1 page is more professional, IMO

second_chance

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 04:03:35 PM »
1 page forces you to put down the most important stuff and trim the crap.. this advice applies to personal statements also... i think they are best under 650 words.

radioface

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 04:07:50 PM »
it depends. if you have publications and significant WE, 2 pages seems fine.

Penn Law '10

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 04:28:13 PM »
I think it is possible for everyone to use 3 or 4 pages on a resume.  The point is to only pick out the most important stuff for purposes of law school apps.  So go over one page, IMO, only if you absolutely have to, not just because you can.
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

radioface

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 06:11:43 PM »

Personally, I went with Education & Work Experience on page one; Activities and Personal Anecdotes on page two.

thats about how i did it too. 6 yrs WE and Educ w/ masters take up page 1. ativities, personal, and select publications on page 2.
Penn Law '10

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 06:19:32 PM »
I think if you're fresh out of college your resume should be no longer than one page. You don't need to list membership in every club you joined-- just the ones with meaningful leadership and service experience.
Vanderbilt 2010

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 07:59:10 PM »
my UG career services center recommends 2 pg resumes for law school applications. thoughts?
Do you have a reason to make an adcomm look at a second page?

I think I did a two-page resume for law school because they wanted every job since college accounted for and I have a 20 yr work history between college and law school.

Now, I use a 1-pager, with some of the stuff that really does not matter trimmed off. I'm concerned I might have to go to two pages, soon, as I enter my third year of law school...but I'll keep it as 1 for as long as possible.

radioface

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 11:11:22 PM »

For instance:
Janitorial Engineer - Cooley School of Law - 2005 to present
- Team leader of janitorial staff with up to 3 direct reports
- Decreased expenses by 5% through "cutting" of cleaning agents
- Improved staff productivity by 33% through video monitoring and headcount right-sizing, resulting in $17,000 annual savings.
- Winner of "Janitor of the Month" in January 06 for innovative toilet-scrubbing techniques.

That being said, I doubt that it really matters much either way, so long as it doesn't make you look like a pompous jerk or an uncaring imbecile.

hey. did I pm you my CV? i swore i had "Facilities Sanitation Engineer," but the rest is verbatim
Penn Law '10